ltkenbo's 55 Gallon Reef Tank

Yeah well see that's what I'm asking is about the flow. I think it's because too much rock. I know a Sea Hare won't help flow, but it will keep the nuisance algae at bay until I fix it. I mean, the algae just helps trap more detrius complicating the problem. So maybe I should get a couple more powerheads, it seems like that right area is lacking flow, as well as behind the main rock cluster. I thought about doing a closed loop system with a spray bar or something.

It looks to me like you just need to re-direct one of the powerheads to get some more flow behind the rock.2 of my Koralia 4s are actually burried behind my rock and aimed straight down the back glass at each other.That helps keep crud from building up back there.
Also,when you do your water changes,siphon out as much of the algae as possible.Might even be a good idea to take the rock out and scrub the algae off in the waste water from your next water change.Then cut the light by a couple of hours for a week or so and see if that'll help.
What do have as far as a clean up crew in there?

5 Mexican turbos, 3 Zebra Turbos (when I see them they are so lazy), 1 Huge Scarlett Hermit Crab, 3 small blue legged hermit crabs, 2 small red legged hermit crabs, and like 8 astrea snails. I need some detrovores I'm pretty sure, they would help with the build up on the sand right? (Like Nassarius snails)

Oh and I did like two 5 gallon water changes the last 2 days, and the one the other night I did scrub off a couple of the rocks. The only is that can't this remove too much beneficial bacteria? When I do another change I'm gonna also scrub off some of the biggest rocks and siphon out what comes off them. Wish my RO/DI unit wasn't broken, I'm waiting for the new parts so for now I have to go to the store for fresh water.

Last edited:
One thing I just thought of is if the guy who had your tank before used tap water your rock may be loaded with phosphate and other minerals which have leached into the rock. So even if your test show 0 it's because phosphates etc. are being used up immediately by the GHA. If that's the case it just takes a long time to get rid of it.

No, it wouldn't be that. He used RO/DI water. He had is own unit and everything. This rock I got for such a good deal because it was his smaller tank which he didn't have enough time for and wanted to break down. He had like a 180 gallon upstairs in his house with metal hallides and everything.

Step up your water changes to 2X 10 gallon changes a week.With each waterchange,make sure you siphon out any detritus thats caught in the algae.You can also pinch the algae between the siphon hose and your finger and pull it loose from the rock.
Also get a couple of brittle and serpent stars to help with detritus.

Its a long hard fight when GHA gets started,but it CAN be won.

Yeah I'm gonna do another 5 gallon changes tonight, so that will be 15 gallons this week. So brittle stars help? I should get some Nass snails too right? I'm thinking about getting the 20 on ebay for $18 shipped. I've also been scrubbing off the live rock in waste water like you said, I think I'm also gonna change my rock structure around, see if it helps any.

Ok so I've done several things this last week.

First I performed several water changes probably totaling up to about 20 gallons in water changes. (My RO/DI unit is broken but I am just waiting for 1 more part in the male so I will do more changes then). Following these I took out many of the rocks and scrubbed them off. Then, I rearranged all of the rock hoping to get better flow, I think it has helped a lot. I also rearranged the powerheads. I flipped the background on the aquarium too blue (from black) cause I thought it would look better, it does. I propped one of the big pieces up with pieces of PVC so it won't sit directly on the sand:

DSC06038.jpg

DSC06058.jpg

I also got one of those loc-line things off of ebay, came from hong kong so it was only $5, works great. I'm probably going to cut the PVC pipe at the top (not the loc-line stuff, the white stuff) up a little because I originally just had it down farther because it was the return line itself.

DSC06034.jpg

DSC06037.jpg

As far as my livestock, fish seem very healthy, clownfish seems to be very very active with the new arrangement. I have a goby and angelfish also but they always hide when I'm right near the glass:

DSC06045.jpg

DSC06047.jpg

DSC06053.jpg

DSC06056.jpg

The button polyps that came with my live rock (well it was just 1) are doing quite well:

DSC06041.jpg

And here are some that my friend gave me that have multiplied quite a bit:

DSC06061.jpg

Here is one of the kenya trees, probably gonna leave it in the corner to prevent it from spreading too easily or harming other future corals:

DSC06044.jpg

And a small mushroom coral my friend gave me a while ago, came detached from the original rock so I glued it back to another rock. Not sure what type it is, it's purple with green lines. How much light do these things need? Should I leave it down near the buttom on that rock like it is?

DSC06043.jpg

These are the star polyps, the rock wasn't glued in place and when I was on vacation it fell off and when I got back I couldn't find it, but I found it when rearranging the rock. I'm not sure if it's completely dead though so I'm gonna watch it for a week or so. No $ lost though, I got it from a friend:

DSC06042.jpg

The story with this xenia is kind of funny, my friend gave me one cut off his rock and I attached it to a rock in my aquarium however it came loose and I had not idea where it went, I thought it got sucked up by the sump or something and died. However, 2 months later, one day I noticed it had landed on one of the rocks and attached itself and was thriving lol. Now that a lot of the algae has been eaten away it seems to be thriving more:
DSC06040.jpg

I'm hoping to keep the algae back with the water changes and I purchased more turbo snails last week. I also ordered 20 Nass snails off of ebay, so those should be coming soon and that should help with the sand aeration.

DSC06066.jpg

Allright so in a week or two, after I work a little more and get some more money, I am going to buy these:

Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

(48" one)

So here is a list of corals I would ultimately like to keep (most of them stony) along with pictures of the individual species I am interest in:

Zoanthids!! Many Colors!

Candy Cane/Trumpet (Green preferable)
NeonCandy.jpg

Hammer Coral

p-82872-hammer.jpg

Pink Bird's Nest

p-81936-Pink-Birdsnest.jpg

Maze/Brain Coral

thumb_Tonga_Maze_Coral.jpg
:

mcaruanaopenbrain_400.jpg

Moon Coral (Some type)

MoonCoral3.jpg

Green Bird's Nest Coral
p-89357-birdsnest.jpg

So here is a list of fish I am also interested in (not necessarily complete):

-Another Clownfish
-Damsels
-Six Line Wrasse
-Cardinal Fish (Particularly Threadfin Carinals)
-Longnose Hawkfish
-Potter's Dwarf Angelfish
-Kole Tang
-Psychedelic mandarin dragonet
-Royal Gramma

Also, so I currently have one quarantine tank but I want to be able to quarantine more than one fish so I found this listing near me, what a steal huh?

Local Sales Network - 10 gal aquariums complete in Cookeville, TN #1323131 - Go LSN!

I will probably by them all from her, especially since they have lights hoods and everything.

Let me know what you think of the list and if you have any suggestions.

Last edited:
All of those corals would do great under your (proposed) lights. Nice choices!

Also check out blastomussa corals and ricordeas. Those are my two favorite kinds and I couldn't help but notice that they were missing from your list ;)

The hawkfish is likely to make a meal out of your inverts; they are not reef safe. And the angel is likely to make a meal of your corals. Beware if you decide to add those two -- be ready to pull them and find them a new home if they start eating their tank mates. The other fishes are all great choices!

So here is something I built yesterday and finished today. It's gonna make my quarantining process easier and allow me to quarantine more fish at once. Basically I got the following for $30 from a lady locally:

DSC06075.jpg

DSC06076.jpg

Like 4 air pumps, numerous sponge filters, a 10 gallon tank, cover, 4 heaters, lots of air tubing and some airstones, some sunction cups, a penguin 550 powerhead, a random pump from a old HOB filter, a small magnet cleaner, 2 specimen boxes, and a small box of instant ocean salt. She also has 3 more tanks which she is selling for $5 each and a ton of more air pumps so I'll probably pick some more up from her soon. Anyways, the reason I want to get these is to allow me to quarantine more than one fish rather than having to wait for an entire month for a single fish. So, I made this shelf that can hold 4 10 gallon tanks:

DSC06097.jpg

DSC06098.jpg

Then I can hang lights from the bottom part for the bottom shelf tanks. I also thought about using acrylic or glass to partition a couple of my 10 gallon tanks in to two 5 gallon tanks you know since really small fish won't need an empty 10 gallon tank all to themselves. I'm probably finish the shelf later (to make it look nicer) but for now it will work. What do you think?

So here's the update. I bought a maroon clown fish (in quarantine), got the 48" current nova extreme pro fixture but an actinic bulb broke during shipping so they are sending me a replacement. Because of that only 4 bulbs are running right now but it still looks really good.

Today I bought my first hard coral, it's calaustrea/candy cane. It was only $12.99 for a single polyp (mine is splitting) at the fish store! Anyways here's pics of everything:

The clown:

DSC06125.jpg

The lights:

DSC06240.jpg

DSC06242.jpg

You can see the broken bulb here:

DSC06244.jpg

DSC06245.jpg

DSC06249.jpg

DSC06250.jpg

DSC06251.jpg

DSC06253.jpg

DSC06257.jpg

Those are good looking additions.:D
You'll love those lights.It wont be long untill you got corals and coralline algae growin out your ears:bounce:

Back