Mag Pumps

LoveJC03

Reef Enthusiast
What size mag drive pump would I need for a 29 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump?

We ordered 2 bulkheads & the 1 3/4'' hole cutter and we'll be drilling the back of our tank next weekend.

We're also building an internal overflow box in the back corner. It'll either be 16'' x 5'' x 5'' or 16'' x 4'' x 3''

Last edited:
Im not fully aware of what you are talking about (probs because i just got in from a late night) haha
But i would wait till someone gives you a insight.

Im not fully aware of what you are talking about (probs because i just got in from a late night) haha
But i would wait till someone gives you a insight.

We're kinda in the middle of deciding on the Mag5 or the Mag7, we're using 1'' pvc.. so we're not sure which to use.

Are you using 1" PVC on the return? I would go .5" pvc or hose with the mag 5 as the return.

On a tank and setup that small, an eheim 1250 would be good too, doesn't cost much more than the mag and marinedepot (but it's quieter and more efficient). It's only 317gph, but you don't want a lot of flow going through your sump anyway. (that's what the powerheads are for).

Are you using 1" PVC on the return? I would go .5" pvc or hose with the mag 5 as the return.

On a tank and setup that small, an eheim 1250 would be good too, doesn't cost much more than the mag and marinedepot (but it's quieter and more efficient). It's only 317gph, but you don't want a lot of flow going through your sump anyway. (that's what the powerheads are for).

Yes, that's what we're using.

I building a very close setup as you right now. 40g breeder tank with a 20g long sump. I am using a mag 5, and it seems about right for my setup. I drilled 2 1 3/4 holes with 1 inch bulkheads and I actually built my overflow box too. used 1/4 black acrylic, 6in x 4 in. with 1/4in. wide teeth about an inch deep. I'll find out soon if that's "about right" for the flow of the mag5. Be careful drilling, seriously take your time and try to be extra careful when you get close to the end to avoid blowout.

Back