Making an LED for my Pico :D

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ok, im not the most handy of people, but I dont think the wiring for this is hard, I will probably struggle more with the fixture case lol.

Planning to make it out of wood and paint it black, it will have 12 LED's, 6 royal blue and 6 cool white.

Will most likely install a dimmer so I can control it, but other than that, should not be too hard! Im kind of excited to get my pico running again, but for sps :)

Keep us posted!!!!!!!!

If you need help, let me know, I have been doing research on LEDs for my 29 gallon tank. Have been using the time to save up some money.

I know there are a few ways to dim the LEDs. One type of driver uses an analog signal and another uses a digital signal. The easier one would definantly be the analog since you would just need a potentiameter to adjust the voltage going to the driver.

The digital one uses what is called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM if you run across that on other sites). That basically is either getting 10 volts or 0 volts. The length of time that the driver is getting 10 volts versus the length of time the driver is getting 0 volts determines the brightness. If it is getting 10 volts 100% of the time, it will be at 100% brightness, 75% of the time, 75% brightness and so on.

You can also get two drivers one for the whites and one for the blues. That way you can adjust the color temperature.

check out
www.rapidleds.com they have more info on building one also.

Thanks BJ, I was planning on getting this pack

12 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

with this heat sink (although I dont know how you would drill the LED's onto it? )

Drilled and Tapped 4.25" x 9" Heat Sink for 12 LEDs

and a dimmable controller like this.

DDC-01 PWM Controller

You would use screws to attach the LED's to the heat sink. The wiring goes positive to negative on each LED. Depending on the size of the screws you have, you would drill hole in the heat sink, and then screws, the metal is soft enough to get them in no problem.

No problem on the wiring, i was wondering where the screws go on the led, but im guessing it goes in the gaps on the casing board. The heatsink is already drilled, it says it in the name.

Im still working out a few other kinks and whether or not my LFS will be able to make it cheaper than me. So we shall see.

That is EXACTLY what I ordered on Tuesday Jmck. I should be getting it on Monday, and I can let you know how it goes.

No problem on the wiring, i was wondering where the screws go on the led, but im guessing it goes in the gaps on the casing board. The heatsink is already drilled, it says it in the name.

Im still working out a few other kinks and whether or not my LFS will be able to make it cheaper than me. So we shall see.
Yea, the screws go into the holes in the pcb led sides. You'll see them.

that sounds great slm, I look forward to hearing your report :) I need this little light, ive got a 2ft t5 sitting on my pico tank :D hehehe

thanks reef, I started to see that after. :)

Back