Making tank rimless?

Newbs64

Go Oilers!
Was wondering if there was anyone on here with success on removing a rim on a tank?
I went to petco today they were having there tank sale so bought a 10 gallon. I did a little research to find people who have removed the rim, and actually found quite a few positive inputs. I know it's the whole tank support and its not the smartest thing to do. I went ahead and went for it, I removed the top rim but leaving the bottom rim. What do you guys think? I wouldn't do it on any bigger tank. Haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 368
I wouldn't do it. You'd be surprised how much that little brace supports the glass.

I guess we will see what happens. I hope it works, I read a thread about a guy who did a 20L and has had for several years. If it don't work good thing it's only 10 gallons and not 100 gallons. I will finish cleaning the silicone off tomorrow and fill it up and let it sit for a while. It will be a little bit before I start the build.

When they make rimless tanks they use thicker glass. I'm pretty sure you just ruined the tank you bought. Use at your own risk.

Like I said " I know that the rim is there to support the glass". I've read a lot of success rate stories on people who have done it. One thread I read a guy has removed them on 10 tanks of his, which were all 20 gallons or less. We will see what happens, not too worried about the tank seeing how I paid like $11 something on it. I will definitely let you guys know what happens.

The rim broke on my 75 Gallon, and I woke up to a bow front tank because of the water weight pushing out on the glass, I had to use clamps to relive the stress on the glass, it pushed it out about an inch in the front and and inch on the back. I'm sure the water weight will not be as much on a ten gallon, but still the only thing holding the glass together is the corner silicone, which I would not trust for that purpose, you might come home to a mess one day.

The rim broke on my 75 Gallon, and I woke up to a bow front tank because of the water weight pushing out on the glass, I had to use clamps to relive the stress on the glass, it pushed it out about an inch in the front and and inch on the back. I'm sure the water weight will not be as much on a ten gallon, but still the only thing holding the glass together is the corner silicone, which I would not trust for that purpose, you might come home to a mess one day.
I think I may try to secure the corners with some corner protectors. I found some clear ones that you put on desk corners for kids. I will glue those on in the corners and that should help secure it a hair more.

Here is a pic of a freshwater 10 gallon that the top rim was removed. He left the bottom one just like I did. He said he hasn't had any trouble with it. I'm ready to see if it works. I need to finish scraping the silicone off then I will paint the back tonight. After that I will do a leak test and see how it holds. I will measure width at the top before water then after and let you guys know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 350
The Rim is there for a reason, but I prefer Rimless tanks. They look so clean, just like mine. I've taken the Rim off a 65 trying to duplicate the Rimless look only to find that the edges were not bevelled like Rimless is. I guess if you don't have little hands around it's ok but then in most tanks you have a brace and the brace needs to be there. Go Rimless Go

It's not going to be an instant thing. It happens over time as the weight of the water (which saltwater is heavier than fresh) stresses the seals and the panels of the glass.

Good luck to you, but I stand by my "long term, it's not the best idea".

What I've seen people do is cut the rim off leaving the braise in place, you end up with a 2 inch plastic piece on the front though.

So cleaned off edges with goo gone, but still have a little detailing to do. I also got the back painted. This weekend I'm gonna clean the glass edges up with a glass grinding stone bit and a dremel tool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 326
It's going to be fine...I had an old AGA 90 that had the rims off when I bought it and I used it for 8 years and it went on to another friend...last I knew it got so scratched up it became a sump....

I mean how many atmospheres do you get from 12 inches of water?

You won't have any problems...I mean you're under 12 inches of water....Here is a clip from a document from University of Illinois Urbana department of Physics....

"So if you’re right at sea level, the pressure will be 14.7 psi. And for every foot you go underwater, you add another 0.445 psi. So at one foot deep, the pressure would be 14.7 psi + 0.445 psi = 15.145 psi."

I hardly believe that difference in pressure would cause any great distress....and that's the pressure at the extreme of the depth...

Many years ago I bought a friend's old 90G AGA that had the rims removed....I used it for eight more years and sold it to another friend...last I knew it finally had so many scratches it became a sump.....never worried for a minute....but that's just me....

Many years ago I bought a friend's old 90G AGA that had the rims removed....I used it for eight more years and sold it to another friend...last I knew it finally had so many scratches it became a sump.....never worried for a minute....but that's just me....
Yea I think it will be fine too. People are just too uptight, lol u gotta live on edge!

Back