Mantis swing and miss slo motion.

First and foremost,wanna thank OhNoNemo for taking time out to slo mo and upload the video. Turned out better than i thought it would. I appriciate it.:Cheers:

Well theres a reason for this actually. My mantis had been acting weird latley. After i redid the reef structure he also redid his when i was done. He made a huge burrow in the substrate which he didnt do before. I was also was/kinda still am fighting cyano. So i did a big water change. Didnt feed him for over a week. He had 9 hermits to snack on which he really didnt. He might of had one or two. So i though his weird behavior was maybe coz he wanted real food. I tried to find a decent emerald or gorilla crab but coulnt find anything, Best thing i could find was this decorator crab. He toyed with him by picking him up and trying to bring him into his burrow but the decorator is to big to fit lol. The second time he came in front of the mantis tho he fired a warning shot, and missed. The vid is enclosed. Come to find out, i came home from work and my mantis molted. He is on his second day of recovery. So far so good. To those that dont know. ALOT of mantis shrimp die during a molt...hopefully in a few days he'll come out and eat the decorator :mrgreen::Cheers:

P.S If u make the vid full screen and 480p at least it looks the best.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YT1_d7rLsU]YouTube - Dana Mantis vid[/ame]

Holy S**T!!!!
Forget the mantis.... how do you have a tarantula in your tank?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know ,both are pretty bad A$$.....
glad it worked,if i would have thought of it we could have added music...i guess we still could

Ok Dennis. You have to see this other vid of him playing with him to see the size of him. Totally a tarantula lol. I'll go upload it.

OhNo if you wanna add some music to it that be cool but not a HUGE deal lol. If you have time and are bored go for it.

I never thought I would say it, but that mantis shrimp looks pretty BA.....tho, I have to ask, why the heck do they both look so flipping big?? o.0

Why would you feed the mantis such an awesome crab? Feed him a dumb crab like a gorilla or something. Keep the Decorator crab!

It's all i could find and i dont believe in feeding him anything dead already (raw shrimp, gold fish) so dont ask. :mrgreen:

I never thought I would say it, but that mantis shrimp looks pretty BA.....tho, I have to ask, why the heck do they both look so flipping big?? o.0

Because they both are pretty big. My mantis has to be 5 inchs. That decorator crab is flipping huge IMO. But i also thought the two gorilla crabs i fed him were.

Wow Dana I didn't realize they had trouble with molting. Seems like my peps molt every other day. You'd think something as ornery and tough as a mantis would breeze through molting. Wow. Guess everything DOES have an Achilles Heel!!!!!

Karen that's what it comes down to too. I won't go into detail about it and bore anyone but ya....he seems to be doing fine....jus waiting on him to fully heal up and go ona killin spree : )

im building a tank for a wennerae mantis atm (ill prolly just give him ghost shrimp/hermit crabs), cant wait to have it all setup. GL on the molt he is a cool lookin mantis

Pwny thats pretty sweet. Goodluck with your set up. I've almost had mine up for 2 months. I absolutely love my reef tank but nothing is like watching my mantis. He's got personality that some other mantis' lack. He doesnt always jus stay in the cave, he likes to venture around. If he doesn't fit Ina hole he breaks the LR so he does fit....when I buy a home I will upgrade to a 40g breeder tank for him or a new one if he somehow passes on.

Back