Mantis tank build

Thanks ladies again. Prolly the best video ive done to date. It took him a good 20 min to even realize he was in the tank. Once he seen the emerald he went into stalking mode and i started recording. I love how he used both bashers to kill and the explosion that followed was epic IMO The sheer power of mantis shrimp is in one word AWSOME. See you next time, same shrimp time, same shrimp channel =)

Nope cant watch it but I love the pictures. I cant believe I might have one of these monsters right now. I still havent seen it yet but I occasionally hear a pop noise.

Does yours pop randomly?

Idk how to desrcibe it to you......a pistol shrimP will sound more like a clicking sound and usually they do more than one at a time so a very light clicking sound.....a mantis strike...well mine being like 5 inches makes a loud smacking sound. Not usually consecutive unless hes killing a live thing. Mine beats the LR on occasion but its just a (smack) 45 seconds later...smack...

A smaller mantis is prolly still going to differ from a pistol's "clicking sound" Its easy for me to distinguish the two because i have both......I still suggest trying to lure it out with frozen krill (the bigger ones, not cubed) Put it on a wooeden skewer or stuff it in that pen of yours and tease him.....he will come out.

Last edited:
To answer your question, YES he randomly beats everything coz he's crazy. He's chipped LR to suit him. Hes hit frags that have been superglued down just so he could bring them into his dungon. Ive lost 2 sets of zoa frags that way. He plays with the hermits sometimes too.

I believe this thing is very small whatever it is. It hasnt so much as poked its head out once that I have seen other than that shadow on that video.

I kind of thought a shrimp might come out more than a mantis would which is why I thought it might be a mantis in there banging on the rocks.

Its more of a click and but its never more than one at a time and its very random.

Its very elusive whatever it is.

Well I am keeping the new rocks that it is in in a pico 2.5g tank at the moment until I figure out what it is and get rid of the gorilla crabs and crap first. So no threat to my DT.

I am very curious, not sure what to do about it eating right now though. I put in a few chunks of mysis a couple days ago and a sinking pellet which i saw a crab munching on.

Wow, thanks for the great video Dana. Once I get more confidence in my keeping abilities, I'm building a predator tank. Not sure what kind, but I love witnessing things like this. That snap was LOUD! My puny candy/randal pistol can't even compare.

Bah, wrong link. I liked

This was lunch today.

(Something dies in the vid so if you dont have the heart to watch nature do its thing, move along)

I dont feed him much live stuff n e more. Mostly frozen krill. He still eats his share of hermits and hes killed 2 big turbos.....so hard to keep the tank clean. When i upgrade tanks ima put a algae scrubber on.

YouTube - Mantis shrimp gets live lunch once a month

much more :)

Heres what the tank looks like...5months old....coming along...im getting new bulbs soon.

mantistank.jpg

lol my mantis just took out my 6 line also, i didt think she had it in her the fish was bigger then she was

srach that i just found it in the tiny fuge section of my tank, i swear wrass's will fid a way to get stuck anywhere

I cant wait to see the custom Mantis lair Dana is going to make. Made with fear and broken shells! Your Mantis is going to have a bad a$$ home!

Well i've talked it up, so tonight i figured id give it a go. Heres what i got so far. Let me know what ya think.

Boiled these shells

2ba0b6b9.jpg

Smashed them up and started a base for the struture.

61eb30d3.jpg

The shells ive been taking out as he kills them

f0a88fc9.jpg

Heres what i got so far, got to wait for more shells.....keep going or start over?

c77cebce.jpg

ba1c47bf.jpg

2f5bebd8.jpg

I like it.

It reminds me of The Arc of Triumph in Iraq, the base of the arches were made with the helmets of dead Iranian soldiers from the Iraq-Iran war. That's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw your pics.

I like it.

It reminds me of The Arc of Triumph in Iraq, the base of the arches were made with the helmets of dead Iranian soldiers from the Iraq-Iran war. That's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw your pics.

Thanks Brian. The more i look at it, the more i like it, and see possiblities. :bounce:

P.S Im not the creative type, so this is going out on a limb for me.:sfish:

Back