Marine Velvet or Ich?

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I am currently quarantining a maroon clownfish and the other day I noticed spotting or scaling that looked similar to ich. However, my fish before had ich and there spots eventually became more noticable, his are very small almost like dust and they aren't very visible yet otherwise I'd give you a picture. Was wondering if maybe it was marine velvet. Anways, I'm ordering some stuff for my tank and thought I would go ahead and order some coppersafe.

It Marine Velvet. When a fish has marine velvet you will notice a fine dusting or powdering on the fish.

A fish infected with marine velvet may refuse to eat, hold its fins close to its body, and may scrape itself on rocks in an attempt to disloge the parasite. The fish may gasp for air and hang out at the tanks surface where the dissolved oxygen content is higher. Usually the gills are affected first and so the first symptom you may notice is increased respiration.

One treatment you can try, especially if only one or two fish are affected, is to give your saltwater fish a freshwater bath. The idea behind this is that the parasites will rapidly absorb lots of water through osmosis. Through the process of osmosis, water moves from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration. Because the marine velvet parasite contains lots of salt, but not much water, this causes the parasite to fill so rapidly with water that it will burst when it is placed in freshwater.

To set up a freshwater bath you add 85% freshwater and 15% water from the aquarium. The temperature and pH must be matched to that in the aquarium. Also remember to use a dechlorinator.

Yeah I was planning on doing a freshwater bath, luckily it's one fish in a quarantine tank so it will be much easier to treat. He is still eating and acting fine.

Yeah I freshwater dipped him today, seemed to help a lot. My order for a bunch of aquarium stuff from drs. foster smith comes on thursday so I will add the copper medication to the tank then.

Well he didn't seem very good yesterday, was still eating and everything but had his dorsal fin down. I came home today and found him dead in the quarantine tank, that's the last time I am getting any fish at petco. I didn't have the medication yet because for some reason even though the salt I ordered arrived from drs. foster and smith the other stuff doesn't come until tuesday, so oh well. Question though, with the quarantine tank, especially now since it' probably cycled, other than a water change, how can I ensure that the velvet will not remain present for the next fish in trophant form?

Most people tear down and completely clean their quarantine tanks in between uses. This way you ensure that you're not spreading disease.

Back