Massive problem!

slm32123

Reefing newb
I just tested my ammonia and it was at 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhH! What should I use to drop it down, I am using ammo-lock to make sure it doesn't kill anybody but how can I drop it quicker. If you guys say water changes, how many gallons at a time and how often, I have about 85 gallons total, and ive been doing 5 gallon changes weekly.

And that leads me to another question, not as pressing but needs to be answered. Which salt do you all recommend, ive narrowed it down to red sea coral pro, and seachem reef salt.

thanks guys!

Are you sure your test kit is accurate? Did you have anything die in your tank recently? Or did you overfeed? Have you added new fish lately?

Ammo-Lock can help, but it can also have side effects.

You can safely do up to about a 40% water change at one time to drop that level down.

I have used both those salts -- if I remember correctly, the Red Sea was pretty low in alk and calcium. So I'd go with the SeaChem.

+1 Biff...have your lfs test your water for you to be sure. Are you sure you don't mean .5? At 5, I would think you'd be seeing lots of death or stress.

If it were me, I would be double checking my test kit and doing a 40% water change and then maybe adding a product by the same of stablity to help out. I wouldn't do more than 40% daily because then you pose a risk to your livestock. Good luck!

If it were me, I would be double checking my test kit and doing a 40% water change and then maybe adding a product by the same of stablity to help out. I wouldn't do more than 40% daily because then you pose a risk to your livestock. Good luck!

+1 if this :shock: happens to you then double check it if it the same thing then do the water changes :^:

don't use red sea coral pro, alk is too low... although the cal is fine.

Also, you're not doing enough weekly water changes. If your system volume is 85gallons and you change 5 gallons/ week, that's only 6% per week. IME, that's not sufficient to keep the water balanced. Most people suggest averaging at least 10% per week.

im guessing its about 85 gallons. the dt itself is 75 and the sump is a 20g long, but its not full. I bumped it up to 15 gallons this week though. I was unable to get to the lfs, so I have to wait until monday now.

It is weird though, because my fish are all perfectly fine, the only things having problems are my corals, oh and I lost both of my mushrooms, I am down to just a toadstool leather, and 1 gsp now.

alright, when i go monday I will buy a test kit for copper, unless they can test it i shouldnt have any since ive been using just ro/di and our tap water doesnt have any in it

Well the ro/di removes copper right? because my feed line for that is directly on a copper pipe. And when I was using just tap in the 35 hex, I never had a problem, and every frag I had tripled in size within 2 or 3 months. I even neglected doing any water changes for the first 2 months I had it set up

Edit: everywhere I read says the di portion removes the copper as long as its still good resin, and my resin is only about 1 month old. and only half color changed

Also, can i use just a regular volt meter to quickly check for stray voltage, no i havent read the article yet but im about to

Back