Maxi-jet powerhead?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I bought a maxi-jet powerhead for my 10g QT and its supposed to be something like 180gph, but my poor fish look like they can barely swim in the flow, and the sponge filter, pvc pipe and rubber plants I got have all been pushed into a corner from the flow. Does this sound normal to those of you with these types of powerheads? I have 2 koralia 240s in my other nano tank and don't feel like they give off nearly this much flow, but maybe the rock work breaks up the flow more? I feel bad for my poor fish who keep getting tumbled in the flow and worry that this is going to stress them out too much...

Weird, I find it the other way around, the Maxi gives off too little, so I scrapped it.
It is the one you can change into a powerhead/pump ect right?

Yeah, that's the one. Fortunately its temporary until the koralia arrives from DFS. I wonder if the box was labeled wrong. I've got the powerhead mounted halfway down and not pointed at the surface and still have a huge amount of turbulance on the surface - so strange!

Mine rattles and gives off a vibration you can hear through the glass. Never like them for anything but a pump for a reactor, not really a good powerhead IMO.

Yeah, I agree Waddi. This one has come apart a few times on me - sent the impeller and cover flying across the tank. The koralia should arrive tomorrow, but I had to buy something in a pinch (otherwise would only have had the airline from the sponge filter) and wasn't going to spend $50 for a koralia from the LFS that I can buy online for $25. So the cheap maxi-jet it was. I figure I can use it for mixing salt once the new one arrives.

Back