Maxi mini problems

joshuacohenjc

Reefing newb
i bought a maxi mine anemone about a week ago and it went missing 3 days ago, i looked everywhere and couldn't find it. today, i found it in a cave (in my rock) all destroyed and covered in a web. when i found it, it was attached to a hermit carb (that didn't have shell but i see how blue legs) and my blue mandarin\
the maxi mini has about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter and now its just a couple of little pieces
i have absolutely no clue what happened

it it possible that its now the maxi mini and the maxi mini is still hidden somewhere else? the colours were very similar to the zoanthids that were near that area (dragon eye and radioactive dragon eye)
cOvlI.jpg

WQA3b.jpg

Could it have been caught in a powerhead, overflow box or burned by the heater? I had some maxi minis that never moved and some that were all over the place. What other tankmates are there in the tank? Maxi minis have a VERY potent sting for their size so they can defend themselves pretty good from predators. I lost a clown in one.

Its possible that it was thr powerhead but im wondering how it got unstuck from the bottom (i have a barebottom tank). It was directl inder thr powerhead but around 14inches lower.
I have 2 orange Ocellaris clowns, 2 black Ocellaris clown, 1 blue mandarin, 1 green mandarin, a hippo tang, a yellow tang, a flame angel and a bicolor angel. I know it's pretty stocked but all of the fish are under 3 inches and I will be upgrading to either a 240 or a 180 in about a year. I also have a cleaner shrimp and a fire red shrimp. A couple of dwarf blue leg hermit crabs and a couple of snails
As for coral, I have a pink bubble tip anemone, a large frogspawn, a sun coral, 10 different types of zoanthids, different types of green mushrooms, an elegance coral, a goniopora, orange acans and a neon yellow brain. I also have green stat polyps and brown star polyps. I have some purple xenia too
I had a brain maze coral but I don't know what happened to it

They can move pretty fast. I've seen them go a couple feet in less than an hour. And they can hide really well. Anemones (maxi minis especially) are fairly tough critters and heal fast. Are your angels harassing it? I'd be more worried about the fish that may perch and land on the nem.
Pretty stocked is right! But if they are juvies and going to a bigger home you'll be fine
"I had a brain maze coral but I don't know what happened to it there. " How do you lose a brain coral?

it was a small frag that was lost when i moved it form my 20 to my 75
my angel haven't bothered any fish or any coral since i got them 5 month ago.
so your saying that the tiny piece of maxi mini anemone that is left will grow into a full one, eventually?

it was a small frag that was lost when i moved it form my 20 to my 75
my angel haven't bothered any fish or any coral since i got them 5 month ago.
so your saying that the tiny piece of maxi mini anemone that is left will grow into a full one, eventually?
As long as the nem isnt mutilated it should recover. When mine were fragged we pulled them out of the tank, sliced them in half with a big sharp knife, 5min iodine dip and chucked them back in the tank. In a couple weeks you wouldn't even notice they were cut. Other than being smaller. Being ripped or torn can be a different story though. Its prone to infection and can die. I would try to find it and get a good assesment of the damage. Dying nems can be a big headache in an aquarium. If you still have the smaller tank it might be best to use it as a hospital tank just to be safe.

Back