Maxspect LEDs?

North, how many Par38s would be needed do you think? I'm guessing 4, but I could be off.... My thinking was that 4 Par38s would be close in price or less than the maxspect fixture, esp. if you have to add on things like the controller or hanging devices to the maxspect (I know those added a good $200 to my AI set up).

Since you havent spent your money yet (and I dont know what your budget is)

Take a look at these
Kessil Lighting- The Spectral Revolution

They seem to have most of the spectrum that is missing on your standard white/blue/royal fixtures. One of these puppies with the wide angle lens should be plenty for your tank. You can even get a goose neck mount that will clip on the back of a tank (or a wall with a little DIY creativity)

I'm actually considering at least one of these to play around with on my reef (don't tell the wife)

Wow that kessil does put out quite a bit of light!! Maybe I'll get one of those. Do you think one would be enough to light my whole tank? Would I still be able to keep sps, clams or anemones? Would it be one spotlight or does it spread throughout the tank. Im gonna have to check out this light some more. Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to spend this amount of money on something I won't like.

If you look at the graph of the light output, the 350W (the one with the wide angle lens) would be sufficient for a 30x30 area. They make a couple of goose neck hangers for them, you could easily mount it to the wall or one of the rods on the stair case behind the tank. I am looking into them more myself, but I know that Fast was impressed by them, and he's been critical of many other LED solutions for reef lighting. The tank videos on the site look pretty good under these lights too. I don't think you'd have any issues keeping clams and sps. I have had a crocea for over a year under my LED's no problem

The more I look at it the more I want it. It's so simple and sleek looking. It's really nice to not see a huge contraption over the tank. I saw they don't have goosenecks available for the 350w yet? One site said that and another site you had to buy it separately. That's alright. Its only one pound so I could hang it on the stairs I suppose. There is only one thing I don't like. You has to turn the knob manually so switch to the different color spectrum. And it's just on and off. I run my lights 24/7. At night it's blue and during the day it's white and blue. So everyday I would have to manually switch the light and that's what I do now. I wish they had a built in timer or something.

If the spectrum on those is as good as what the initial data suggests, I wouldn't be surprised if you see timer solutions for things like the Reefkeeper and other Reef controllers - granted that's another gadget to purchase, but they will do so much more than run lights....

I think I'm gonna take the plunge and one kessil a350w. I'm gonna let my hubby take a look and make sure he likes it too. If he does then we will be ordering it tomorrow or so. Unless I change my mind lol wouldn't be a surprise.

I think I'm gonna take the plunge and one kessil a350w. I'm gonna let my hubby take a look and make sure he likes it too. If he does then we will be ordering it tomorrow or so. Unless I change my mind lol wouldn't be a surprise.

Look forward to hearing how it works for you! I love it when people try new things :)

i was looking into those too, they are really sexy lol.

Right now i have this diy t5 solution that my bf is throwing together, but already i want leds lol. So im throwing a little money aside... if i do end up liking what the bf made at the very least ill have some coral budget lol

Yea t5 is nice but I love the look of the LEDs. And I like knowing that I will not have to replace the bulbs.

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I am also considering the Kessil....however, if I used more then 1, how are they controlled, meaning, if you wanted, say, 3 of them to come on at the same time, what do you use to control them simultaneously?

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I am also considering the Kessil....however, if I used more then 1, how are they controlled, meaning, if you wanted, say, 3 of them to come on at the same time, what do you use to control them simultaneously?

I don't see a controller option on the website, so you'd have to use a timer on the powerstrip you plug them into. Like i've said in an earlier post though, it looks like they've got quite the spectrum and if it works as well as it looks on paper, there will be controller options for this in the future

Back