Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

You can't scrub too much. It's no different that a sunny day on the algae floating in the water in the ocean (planktonic algae is 90% of the life in the ocean). But just making a screen 9 times bigger, or just using more flow, does not mean you are scrubbing 9X more. To scrub more, you need more light too. 0.5 total watts per square inch minimum. So your 900 inch screen would need 450 real (not equivalent) watts to make use of all the area. If you did this, then yes your pump would be enough. And your tank would have the most powerful scrubber of any 125 anywhere :)

Successes:

LethargicCoder on the MOFIB site: "A little update to [the] post I made a year ago today. I had removed the skimmer from this [33 gal] tank when I added the scrubber, and I have only done 1 water change on the tank since then. I had said "starting nitrates...let's just say they're high", that meant off the chart even after diluting with RO water. Tonight I tested the water and it looks like it's under 5ppm. All that showed up on the screen for months was brown sludge. After 7-8 months, it finally started looking green but no significant growth, but algae did start showing up around my overflow and return pipe and sump. I assume nitrates were too high to grow algae before this point. Algae is now green and growing some volume, not rubbery, and more like typical hair algae. With some water changes and better bulbs, I'm sure I could have shortened this process but I really wanted to see what it would do with nothing but [screen] cleaning. I think with the results of this, I'll be going with an algae scrubber instead of a skimmer on the 135g tank that will hopefully replace this tank soon."

Kidult on the scrubber site: "There are brown dense algae growing on my algaescrubber. I scrape my scrubber one time a week. I suppose that i did something wrong, because it's running for more than 2 months and PO4 is 0,34mg/l (hanna). how many time it will take to go PO4 down from 0.36 to 0? [...] One scraping for 3 days. After last advice (1 scrape for 3 days) my tank achieved PO4 0.07 (hanna) from 0.36 about 4 weeks ago. [...] Po4 is 0.02 (hanna) No3 is 0 (salifert) Thank You All!"

Chrissu on the scrubber site: "the heart of my ATS is a 24"x24" screen that keeps the ammonia at 0, the nitriate at 0, and my nitrates hover between 0-25 depending on how much I feed my fish. They get to eat VERY well now that I have the ATS. I've been able to eliminate my macro algae, DSB, and protein skimmer from my sump without issue (makes maintenance a breeze now)."

Rosenaa on the scrubber site: "My tank looks great since I set up my ATS and the corals are feeding in the water colum many times. Readings are all zero and just a little algae on the stones (due to phospate leaking out I guess)"

Rainer_Feyer on the RC site: "the scrubber is blowing my mind! I have really no [nuisance] algae left - very little, and hope a little bit stays forever so I don't have to separately feed the snails. Water is clear, no yellowing at all. And, still am only doing 5gal water change every 3 weeks - that's it (75g tank w/ 20g fuge which is really the scrubber)"

Markjack on the UR site: "[scrubber is] best thing iv'e ever done for my tank. saves you a small fortune in phos and nitrate removers"

Pengelli on the UR site: "I have been running [a scrubber] for about a year. I think they are brilliant. I have brilliant parameters and not a glimpse of nuisance algae."

Gigaah on the LR site: "Day 6 - The green [scrubber] algae really just started filling in. I also got a bit of a nitrite/nitrate spike. I had to take my HOB filter off line to get this [scrubber] running. I suspected and was ready for that. Nitrite .50, Nitrate 40. Did 10 percen water change. Day 8 Nitrite = less than .25 (not quite zero tho), Nitrate= 30, I am happy to report that all algae from the sand and glass is GONE! some on the rocks yet but I understand the phosphate rock leech thing is probably the reason. Day 14 Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 20. Screens are filling in better but not even half full. Day 17
Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 10. End of week 4: Nitrates are ZERO and my tank is stocked pretty high and was stocked pretty fast."

Reeffish on the SG site: "After running this [scrubber] for nearly 10 months for my 3 foot [tank], i have not look back since. It has solve my high NO3 & PO4 problem. From [over] 100 to 3 mg/L (NO3), and [over] 3 to 0.03 mg/L (PO4), both using salifert test kit; live rocks [were] covered with red algae; [now] live rocks covered with purple coralline algae; tank [had] algaes growing everywhere, to [now] a spotless one, it is really amazing. Thanks for this wonderful info. A short info to others on my setup, dedicated aquabee 1000 to supply water to my vertical screen, 8" by 10" (a bit under size). Took me 1 hours to rough up both sides of the screen. Two 24W Philips Tornado, one on each side running 18hrs a day. Cool daylight. Clean the screen every 5 days. Took me 2 months to see NO3 & PO4 results dropping. No magic here, i follow Bro SM recommendations closely and of course, patience. Good luck to all who wants to give this alternative method a try."

Murrman1969 on the WTF site: "Here it goes. I started with nitrates in my 180 salt tank of over 240 ppm which is a dark orange colour indicator on my test kit. Here is a picture of what the colour was. The picture does it no justice it was actually almost burgundy. So I did some research and this is what I came up with for an in-sump design and one for an external container [scrubber] design. The nitrates in my tank now are non existent."

Russel_P on the TR site: "Well my scrubber has finally gotten NO3 levels to zero. The only complaint I have is cleaning it. The algae (more like moss) grows in a large thick sheet that all wants to come off at once when I clean it. I bet I could pull a pound of algae of of it in one cleaning. No yellowing of water, though I do run a small H&S skimmer. The display tank went from a forest of bryopsis to no visible algae. I am building more for every rack in my shop."

Scottt on the MB site: "I built one for my small clownfish hatchery after reading this thread. It keeps the nitrates down (between 0 and 15) without any water changes. I use a skimmer and a filter bag also, as it is a hatchery, with tonnns of food input. I don't have any pics of my current scrubber. Its just a piece of plexi-glass at a 15 degree angle, sanded and drilled. I keep it ~10" below a 150w HPS."

Desertdawg on the SWF site: "I get about a handful of algae off of it every week, so far the water levels are staying almost perfect with just this scrubber and no other filtration or a skimmer running!!!"

Bridgeport on the scrubber site: "I set up my first turf scrubber [6 months ago] after reading through this site. Its gone through many changes since then as I did not have the right flow, lighting, or screen roughness to start. I finally adjusted all those problems and now the screen is growing thick light green algae. I did this project as an experiment and set it up on a ten gallon saltwater tank. I was plagued with red hair algae outbreaks in the ten gallon, and my 55 gallon tank. My plan was to start the algae scrubber on the ten gallon and then switch it over to the 55 gallon. I decided against this and have built another scrubber for the 55 (not in operation yet). The screen on the ATS for my 10 gallon was rather overkill. It is 11in. wide by 8in. height. Although it took a while to get it going because the bio load was very low, it is now working very well. I always clean the screen every weekend. It only takes a couple of minutes and is very easy. My ten gallon tank is now algae free(phos. near 0) and doing very well. As a matter of fact, I have been taking live rock from my 55gal which is still plagued with Red Algae, and putting them in the ten gallon to clean them off. I have done this several times and it has worked well."

Nrosdal on the scrubber site: "i have had an ats going for about 4-5 months and am finally happy with my design and the results that it is giving me, so i figured that i would post a thread with pics from along the way. i would love to say that my tank clearing up is only due to the ats but there are other factors (vodka dosing/more water changes) that also did contribute. But i can definately say that the ats is the biggest contributing factor in my tanks successfully staying free from green and my N and P staying within a reasonable range. [...] i was getting a little better growth of algae and doing 1-2 water changes a week, also changed bulbs to 6500k from the standard ones and put the scrubber on its own timer so that i could have it on for 18hrs as opposed to 12. over the next few weeks i saw some serious improvements in growth on my ats and noticed that the algae in the display was not growing back after my snails/crabs cleaned it. fast forward to today and the tank has been clear of algae (except for on 1 coral that the snails dont like to touch) for about a month now and even has a slight purple hue to it as opposed to green. Corals are slowly popping back out of the rock... and i have my latest version of the scrubber up and running for a week now (same screen just new lighting/box setup)."

Wormside on the spanish AR site, Google translated from Spanish: "From the beginning I had problems with algae in [my] tank, [i bought] a better skimmer (ASM G2) as recommended, but [it] was not so drastic a change as when I put the scrubber. I was running both for a while, about 3 months, and the algae began to disappear; the fourth month I broke my pump sedra (the skimmer) and since then the tank is with pure scrubber. The change to the tank to operate only with the scrubber is impressive; zero abolutamente algae in the display anything! Another thing [] is that now only change the water every month, and now it takes 2 months without water change, and everything perfect. Add course trace elements, Strontium and Molybdenum, Iodine, every week or 15 days , BioDigest Bioptima and in principle every 15 days, but now, every month. I saved a good salt water changes, and unlike [with] the skimmer, I have no saltwater replace []. Also saves energy because the Sedra I used 35w or something and I also heat the water, [but without skimmer] when the quite, low temperature 1 or 2 degrees []. Well many things are good [] we brought the scrubber, is incredible as simple as effective."

Labperck on the Spanish AR site, translated: "my tank is 8 months without a skimmer and water changes only, with the algal and some charcoal, and going very well my PO4 levels 0 and no3 to 0"

Lugac on the spanish AR site, translated: "After 2 months of use to me is working great, nitrates had stalled at 15 mg/l and sometimes climbed to 25 mg/l, and install the [scrubber] after that I went down to 10 mg/L, after a 5 mg/L and Last weekend are at 2 mg/L, I'm on the verge of leaving them to zero. As for phosphates, had at 0.1 mg/l and install the [scrubber] as quickly dropped to .03 mg/L."

Antonioalvarez on the spanish AR site, translated: "After 15 years of struggling with high phosphates and nitrates in the clouds, alone in my aquarium fish, I read about the algae scrubber [] and I decided to build it following the instructions:

Oct 24 2009: Build Algal Scrubber; pipe 3/4 inch, screen 30x40cm, pump 840 Gal/H and a pair of 55-watt bulbs 6500K savers. Water values for the time:

NH4, NH3 = 0
NO2= 0
NO3= 20 mg/l
PO4= 0.1

Oct 26 2009: The first and second day started sprouting weeds.

Nov 1 2009: Significant growth was observed.

Nov 2 2009: First harvest only one side of the screen.

Nov 9 2009: We measured parameters:

NH4, NH3 = 0
dNO2= 0
NO3= 20 mg/l
PO4= 0.05

Half Phosphates, Nitrates remain.

Nov 25 2009: Measured parameters remain the same, is harvested the screen. Bio-Balls delete, delete, mechanical filters, remove sand substrate and 25% water change. Measured parameters:

NH4 NH3 = 0
NO2= 0
NO3= 10mg/l
PO4= 0.25

The measures gave results.

Dec 1 2009: I introduce to my tank live rock cured for 30 days previously. Measured parameters:

NH4= 0
NO2= 0
NO3= 7.5 mg/l
PO4= 0.25

Dec 9 2009: It is harvested and measured parameters:

NH4 NH3 = 0
NO2= 0
NO3= 0 mg/l
PO4= 0
PH= 8
Temp= 25-26

TOTAL HAPPINESS!!! and remains so values.

This is an incredible thread and I want to make a scrubber but I've got a couple questions. I like having snails and hermits in my tank and if all the algae is removed from the display tank is there still going to be something to feed them? And also you said there needs to be .5 watts per square inch? so if I'm making a scrubber thats 6" x 5" I can use a 20 watt bulb on each side? Sorry if you've already answered something similar. I didn't have time to read all of the thread. Thanks.

If all your algae goes away, then just feed more until your snails are happy. Hermits don't seem to have a problem.

Quick guideline:

0.5 actual (not equivalent) fluorescent watts per gallon MINIMUM.
1.0 actual (not equivalent) fluorescent watts per gallon for HIGH filtering.
1.0 square inches of screen per gallon, with bulbs on BOTH sides. (10 x 10 = 100 square inches = 100 gal)
2.0 square inches of screen per gallon, if ONE sided.
18 hours of lights ON, and 6 hours of lights OFF, each day.
Flow is 24 hours, and is 35 gph per inch of width of screen, EVEN IF one sided.
Very rough screen made of roughed-up-like-a-cactus plastic canvas.
Clean algae off of screen every SEVEN (7) days NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK.

I'd like to add that I'm running my tank scrubber only. Zero mechanical filtration. My water isn't the sparkly clearest but everything in the tank is extreamly happy. I'd rather have a richer marine environment with a loss of a little water clarity than a crystal clear one that is kinda sterile and is lacking fine particles of nutrition in it. My dusters love it. I have a softball size rock with probably 50 mini feather dusters on it and since removing the filter pad the rock mini dusters have sprung up big time..it actually looks furry!

I don't understand much about lighting specs on bulbs but I found some flourecent bulbs that are 23 watts and say 2700k. There is no mention about it being a grow bulb or anything like that though. Does it have to specifically say it's for plant growing or just need to have the right colour spectrum?

Here are some videos of the scrubber running:

Flow example, looking from the side with one of the lights removed:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-6Nq4ySWfM]YouTube - Santa Monica 100 - Flow Example from side[/ame]

Flow example, looking from the top:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okQiNW2E73k]YouTube - Santa Monica 100 - Flow Example from top[/ame]

Demonstration of noise:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXJGBI9w20]YouTube - Santa Monica 100 - Demonstration of noise[/ame]

Demonstration of darkness:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLb1lyu-LLs]YouTube - Santa Monica 100 - Demonstration of darkness[/ame]

I made one of the DIY's.. I have ALOT more flow...I'm less than a week in, I put the first one and took it off, because I don't think I roughed up the screen enough, so I've got about 3 days on the screen....Shoudl I slow the flow down on mine, or is your flow lower because this is the manufactured unit? Thanks. I'm looking forward to some algae soon.

Forget it... I got a gallon jug and figured it out.

Last edited:
Woke up this morning and checked the ATS. I'm starting to get some growth. My tank is still cycling, I thought I saw it yesterday, but it's defintiely there today. Its more of a light brown/greenish, but it's definitely there!

I've got 2 more days until my first FW cleaning. Here are some pics. They're hard to see with my crappy camera phone. The lopsided picture is the PVC pipe. I'm going to cut some perpendicular slots in at the first cleaning. But I think you can see the green a little better because the lights aren't distorting the picture.

Attachments

• ATS2.jpg
    ATS2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 192
  • ATS1.jpg
    ATS1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 211
I guess mine would be about 1/4 inch or so. ( I didn't really measure it when I cut it, I did the "that looks good" measure) Its big enough so that you can get even flow and not get algae clogged in it and not so small that water squirts everywhere. Probably about 3x the thickness of the sheet of plastic mesh. Correct me if I'm wrong SM.

If you go through the thread, there are some pics of designs. That will help you estimate the size cut.

Here's day 6. Alot of growth in the last 48 hrs. Again, this is a cycling tank. pictures aren't great (camera phone). Does this look normal SM? There is a brown coating on the entire screen. Some spots are a little more pronounced than othersm but it seems to be working.

Tomorrow is day 7, first cleaning. So I'm clear. Use FW and wipe of 90% of the brown and reinstall correct.

Can you tell from the photos if I should make any adjustments? I know it's hard. I could ramp up the flow, i turned it down a bit after I saw your unit and it seemed to kick this thing into gear.

Attachments

• ATS4.jpg
    ATS4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 214
  • ATS3.jpg
    ATS3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 206
SM, how big should the pvc pipe (Inside diamiter) be that i would want to use to connect my screen to and what a good size pipe inside diamiter and sch thickness to run back to my tank? Ive looked through most of the build tread and did not see the size of what most people are using to build theres with, as far as the sch thickness i see alot are using sch 40 pvc. im sure thats good enough for there wont be that much presure,I just not sure what inside diamiter should I use.

Back