Megaflo overflow

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Hey folks,

Got my 90G up and running but I have a few things to still get going. In my last aquarium I had a HOB overflow, so I'm VERY familiar with the "get the siphon going" technique and the heart pounding that accompanies it. However, my new aquarium is reef ready and I bought a Megaflo overflow kit. It's fully assembled with no leaking, etc. My question is: Do I simply fill the DT overflow section, and also the sump, and turn on the return pump then gravity does the rest???? No sucking water through the over flow? lol. Also, where has everyone drilled there Anti-Siphon hole? Or would putting the return nozzles JUST below the water level for surface agitation sufice for the siphon break. My sump is a DIY 20L. I placed the baffles a few inches below the lip of the tank so when siphoned back the tank will (hopefully) be able hold the volume. I've read that people have installed check valves, but I'm in the pool business and I'm familiar with their failure rate. TIA

Sniffles

The return pump will push water over the overflow, so there's no need for you to prime it or suck it (!) or anything like that. Just turn the pump on.

I always drilled my anti siphon holes right at the water line. If you put it below the water line, that's going to be extra water that gets sucked back if the power goes out. Which is fine if you've made the sump big enough to accommodate that.

Back