Metal Halide Ignition Question

NewReefGuy

Reefing newb
I have a 36 inch 360 watt Odyssea metal halide system. I have only had the unit about 10 days. I actually like the product, but over the last 5 days or so the Metal Halide has become increasingly difficult to start.

There are 2 Actinics, and they work without a problem.

The unit also has a fan which usually is on all the time, even at night when just the 4 moonlight LEDs is on.

My instruction manual is not very good. I feel the problem is either the bulb or the ballast/starter system. Or, it could be me. I do not consider myself an expert in metal halides; I coud be doing something wrong, but.......

I have contacted the manufacturer and I am waiting for feedback.

Any ideas?

can you provide more details about the difficulty you are experiencing?

Timing etc.

My halides start up but take about 2 to 3 minutes to become completely bright and start to have the color you would expect them to. Is this what you are describing or are you having other problems?

As brandon said MHs take alot more time then most other lighting some ballasts even say that the starting time for the ballast should be <5mins which is quite a bit of time and that 5 mins or less is the time it can take the ballast to actually fire the bulb and then the bulb has to get up to temp before you see the light you would actually expect from a the bulb. This is more true to magnetic ballasts then it is for electric ones, which generally have a shorter start time due to higher current. But I think I am getting a little ahead of myself. Knowing what you consider to be the problem will help greatly if this does not answer your question.

Thanks for the comebacks, guys. My light consists of (2) 65W Actinics which work fine. The problem is with the 250W MH. You are correct; ignition is not immediate. Somedays it ignites after several minutes and I think this is normal. Other days, it does not come on after an hour. That is my concern, as the unit has only been used about 2 weeks.

An actual replacement bulb is not terribly expensive, so if I have to go that route, I will. Maybe good as a backup at any rate.

So far, I have not gotten any communication from the supplier. I am usually pretty good at fixing stuff, and I think this is up my alley for figuring it out, but I sure will accept all pointers.

Thanks All.

I bought it from somebody by the name of Hommby on ebay. Originates out of Calif., I think.

Seemed like a reliable seller. My only regret is that I left positive feedback too soon.

The odyssea line comes from jabo not verry reliable but cheap I had 48" 460w MH, PC a month later I was buying a Hamilton fixture both ballast went in a month then I was reading some where about the fixtures catching on fire so thats when I relized that I got what I paid for same goes for there skimmers crap this is only my opp.

Seems to be pretty much the opinion you will get when you start looking at odyssea stuff.

Hopefully you paid with paypal and have some recorse.

Brandon

Back