MH to LED Acclimation Ideas?

dankolle

Reefing newb
Long story short, I had to move my 55 Gallon to a 150 Gallon tank, including the 55's lighting: 2x 175W MH + 2x 110W VHO. I ordered a pair of AI Super Blue Sol fixtures w/ the controller and will be installing it this weekend.

Does anyone have any good ideas on acclimating the coral to the new lights? I have read a lot of different opinions, some saying take weeks to get full brightness and some say months to get full brightness.

I have both SPS, LPS, Zoas and anemones.

I don't like to give a time frame for acclimating corals to changing lights.
What I advise is to take it slow. Watch your corals and let them be your guide.
If they really stretch out or overly expand, then bump up the light intensity a bit.
If they close down or retreat, then cut back sump.

+1 Yote
I went from 2x400w MH's and 4-T5HO's to 100x2w LED bulbs. Taking it slow is the most practical advice.
You may never reach full intensity with your LED's. I stopped adjusting mine at ~70% with no reason to go any higher-----my SPS, LPS, clam, softies and anemones seem to like it just fine.

Good to know. I was thinking I could take a picture every day and compare how they look too, and see if they are changing color one way or the other.

+2 Yote... you have to acclimate slowly because Leds will burn your corals if you start them off with too much intensity.

The new AI controller has an accilmation mode, you set the first intensity and your final intensity and then how long you want it to take to get there. So, you could start at 25% on all the channels, and end at 100%, and give it 30 days. It will auto adjust the intensity so that after 30 days, it has increased automatically from 25% to 100%.

While I agree with Yote, I would set an acclimation period and keep an eye on how your corals respond. Its a lot easier than changing all the channels individually

Sounds interesting! I need to read up on all of the features of the new fixtures I guess. Another reason to go with boxed vs diy in this case.

Back