MH vs LED current draw?

Mike at Rapid is a cool Mo Fo! I have one of his kits running on my JBJ 24 and love it. Did you get any UV LED's? He has them, and you should really think about incorporating them into the build. Mine is a 24 bulb custom fixture with 12 blue, 6 white, and 6 UV. Everything in the cube is amazingly happy and healthy.

Mine has 48 LEDs, a blue heavy mix. No UVs, but it was already shipped today. USPS priority mail.

Yes, Mike was very helpful, and forth coming with information.

The new LED's only burn 1.7 AMPS (that is total at the power cord for all of them).. that is $21 less per month at $.09 per KWH. ---> based on 12 hours a day and 30 days a month.

Which is a few $$$ over the life time of the LED's, now figure in if you have three MH bulbs and replace them every 8 months that is 2.66 months per bulb purchase.
Let's say the LED's only last 9 years and not the 50000 hours (11 years) claimed.
Let's say you buy your bulbs from Sham the Black Marketteer @ $50.
You would spend $2030 on MH bulbs from Sham over the 9 year life time of the LED's. ... BUT you don't buy them from Sham, do you? ... and you don't get them for $50.
And these LED's will not turn my man cave into a steam bath when it is hot outside.. those MH's cooked my man cave.

At a smooth even $500 my new LED's are a no brainer !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening....
-randy-

Last edited:
Back