Micro bubble Protein Skimmer

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
I just got an awesome deal on a 40gal + bubble Protein Skimmer, but it came with No instructions. So I guess it's 2 questions.

1- How much bubbles should I have running in the skimmer for it to produce the desired foam? Should it look like a small tornado, or the whole unit full?

2- is this size of skimmer too big for my 30 gal.

The reason I ask is after a week it started to produce a hell of a stench, the whole tank room smelled fishy. I doo realize there is a break in period, but what should I expect through the break in period. As this unit breaks in should I shut down my mechanical filter?

Thanks for any advice.

the foam that you are getting out into the collection cup is the most important part. all you really need to worry about as far as the bubbles are concerned is that they are small bubbles, they take more stuff out of the water. if you are getting a good head in your collection cup ( which it sounds like you are from the smell ) then it is working properly. the smell is normal, and i would just clean your collection cup out more often to where you don't smell that. and as far as it being to big, it isn't the more stuff you can get out of the water column before it breaks down into nitrates the better.

hope this helps.

Back