Midas Blenny location

Some of them have slightly different coloring, but I think that is more so the prospective buyer can be aware of where the fish are coming from. Some people like to do tanks where are the fish come from the same region.

If there were notable coloration differences between locales, LiveAquaria would have them in the description of the fish (look at the flame angel on that site for an example) I think it is just more so people know where the fish is coming from - so that like Hannah said they get fish from certain areas for biotopes, or because they have done research and want the fish coming from someplace where responsible collection methods are used etc

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I think Samhain got an African midas blenny because their color is more golden than the regular midas blenny - perhaps she'll chime in :)

There are different colors on midas blennies from different areas. Escenius midas has one of the widest (if not the widest) ranges of all blenny species on earth. Since one of their natural defenses is to swim with schools of anthias, the coloration varies somewhat based on what species of anthias are present in each individual blenny's "hometown". The indonesian/south pacific variant is the most common, and it's a bright yellow color. The African midas gets a little larger, and is a deeper (almost schoolbus) yellow with a pinkish tint to the front half. When scared or startled the african midas gets very dark brown stripes overlaying the front half and fading towards the tail. There is even a blue version!

Back