Minimum Sump Size

Unclebuck134

Reefing newb
I am currently planning my winter project. I am switching my 150 high over to saltwater. This is going to be my first saltwater. My question basically is would there be a minimum size my sump set up should be. I was planning on doing a 55g sump with skimmer section and refugium. My problem is i am running plumbing throgh a wall into my boiler room and space is somwhat limited. I have reading threads on the site for quite a while and got most of my answers that way, but my head is spinning and broke down haha. Any help is greatly appreciated

like Erin said go as big as you can get in there.. I have a 55 sump with seperate 30 gal refugium under my 150.. its all what you can get in there..

one other question....my tank is not drilled. I am planning on going for an eshopps overflow. i know they dont flow what they are rated for. what size would be good for me. im pretty sure i cant go too big because i could always limit the flow with a ball valve. Just curious if im thinking about this wrong

Your thinking right.
Have an over flows thats bigger than what you need is not a problem.It'll only carry the water as the return pushes back into the tank.However,if it's to small,then you run into problems trying to throttle the return back to keep from flooding the floor.

and another one lol....any difference in filtration between reef and fowlr? i was planning sump with fuge and skimmer. Sound good? if not point me in the right dirrection thanks

Back