Mixing and Matching

sperryx91

Reefing newb
Hey i just have a quick question, i have a three striped damsel, and a blue velvet damsel and a skunk cleaner in a 75g tank with 1 coral. It's been this way for awhile, and i was wondering if i was able to add a pair of ocellaris clowns to the mix, along with a yellow tang, and maybe something else? Since the damsels are an aggressive fish, i don't want to risk anything bad!

Unfortunately, they are extremely aggressive fish. if you want to add fish there's no way to know how the damsels will react to them with out trying.

I think it'll be ok to add the clown fish, because they're from the same family of damsels and can be aggressive also, and hold their weight. A yellow tang may get picked on.

What I do when I have aggressive fish and I want to add something new is leave the light of for a couple hours before and after you buy and acclimate the fish. This will put all the fish is night mode calming them down and allowing them to adjust to their new friends. Also try moving the rockwork around because then the new fish will have a chance to claim some territory while all the other fish are trying to figure what just happened. Good Luck:bounce::bounce:

Hey i just have a quick question, i have a three striped damsel, and a blue velvet damsel and a skunk cleaner in a 75g tank with 1 coral. It's been this way for awhile, and i was wondering if i was able to add a pair of ocellaris clowns to the mix, along with a yellow tang, and maybe something else? Since the damsels are an aggressive fish, i don't want to risk anything bad!

I would suggest looking at this Marine Compatability Chart to help you out. Unfortunatly the bigger the damsels get the more aggressive they get and most people prefer not to keep them in their tanks at all. I refuse to put a damsel in mine period....well NOT period as I want to put clowns in and they are part of the damsel family however I have found certain ones to be less aggressive. I call my mothers maroon clown jaws because that thing wants everyone dead. She also has a yellow tail damsel and a striped and a domino. They took down a LARGE yellow tang.

I would advise against the yellow tang as they need a tank at least 100 gal to have plenty of swimming room, other tangs require more. Bummer I know because tangs are some of my most favorite fish and I only have a 30 gal. Its tempting I know but dont do it

I would honestly do what I am doing and put together your "wish list", look at sites, read about fish, learn what ones will be reef safe and happy in your size tank and what you need to provide for them and go from there

Back