monkiboy's 265g build thread

no stickers but they found the original grey seas swabbie and retrofitted a new motor so it's as awesome and original as it was years ago with a few enhancements. there's the classic logo on that. see...

20130824_173210_zps925cc599.jpg

they weren't photographed in the above photo but i think i mentioned that i picked up two reef octopus diablo 5500 skimmer pumps. here's a photo with them installed.

20130824_173833_zps30c1c284.jpg

total height with the swabbie is right about 36". remember current plans dictate this guy has to fit under my stand which is at right around 42" so it has to stay reasonable.but yeah, it's still pretty large!

the other holes were for 4 psk1000s recirculating pumps originally, they are plugged now . other than just looking a little out of place the capped holes won't have any impact on the skimmer. dan considered gluing a patch on them but every now and then the acrylic will craze (spiderweb looking micro cracks) when glue is applied to something that was exposed to saltwater for a long period of time and we didn't want to take the chance as even if it wasn't leaking, would drive me nuts knowing it's there. there's a photo above showing the placement of the new skimmer pumps and how water comes in.

the diablo pumps (the 3500 and 5500s) can be bought as water flow pumps or skimmer pumps, actually. the skimmer pumps as one would guess come with the venturi and needle wheel.

OC9223-2T.jpg

i am not running these recirculating. we agreed that i'd get a much longer service life from the pumps this way as it will allow the pumps to be submerged in water and keep them cool and running well. with the recirculating option they are not submerged and dan's experience was that they will not provide a long term reliable solution. while a recirculating skimmer is a little more efficient, with 2 of these pumps i'm still way over rated for my system so there is really no loss in capacity here. lastly, by keeping the integrity of the dc5500 as it comes from the factory it will give me a bolt on easy replacement down the road should it ever be required.

all things point to incredible, efficient, reliable, and power-saving performance! eager to give these diablo pumps a go!

With the exit for the water on the skimmer being up so high wont your skimmer be just about all the way full with water ??? since the water will be travaling so high to make its way out ??

ooh, more goodies arrived today thanks to chris @ saltysupply!

what could it be?!
20130826_150500_zpse5693cb4.jpg

yea buddy!
20130826_150709_zps85217ff2.jpg

looking good - i think i'm going to hook one up tonight to see how it deals with the head pressure going from my basement to the 46 clown/nem tank upstairs in comparison to the blueline HD pump i have now.
20130826_151144_zps46be2b79.jpg

With the exit for the water on the skimmer being up so high wont your skimmer be just about all the way full with water ??? since the water will be travaling so high to make its way out ??

filled with millions of tiny crud carrying air bubbles, you mean? oh yeah! you can't see it in the photos but there's a ball valve for fine adjustment in addition to the controllable dc pumps to dial air intake and water level in.

was really hoping to get my aquascape delivered by this weekend to have it in while we hung lights but it doesn't look that way. i've been through a couple changes and additions. here is one of the final pieces i think. it measures about 17" x 18" x 26". the photos i have been told do a horrible job of capturing the incredible depth that has been created. i really like how we raised the structure off the bottom for an awesome hiding and living space there and awesome flow to pass. the ledges at different heights for long-reaching colonies to spread up and into the depth. the detail of the root structure on the bottom, and the general design somewhat "bonsai" but a little less rounded. this is prior to the furnace, the purple'ing, and frag holes being made.

your thoughts? any ideas for the rest?

a3fcc79c-a926-4a33-82db-28b83851eb69_zps58502a34.jpg

998030d3-5801-4c43-bab3-3a86049b9ef7_zps3502d0f0.jpg

46dec22b-0fdb-45af-a1ef-2b82008244fb_zpsd124d7b6.jpg

man, i really hope my avast skimmer is as good as my SWC 180 cone. i've had this thing for years without a single issue. it's reliable, skims incredibly consistently, no start up issues, etc. can't wait to see what the avast does,though!

how's that for seven days of skim!

20130827_214338_zps15080d4b.jpg

got to the PVC sheeting install today. not really my thing and didn't enjoy it but i made it work. working by yourself with 8 x 4 sheets of this super bendy sharp edged stuff is no bueno and not a lot of room in there as i was not taking down the temporary sump system again.

20130827_215030_zps4896c08d.jpg

20130827_215105_zpsb826af0d.jpg

20130827_215116_zpsd50690c8.jpg

in short, i really don't like it and think it looks like cr@p. while not the cheapest material ($35/sheet), i've got to re do it. i ended up making all those stupid cuts along the refugium and frag stand instead i should have just broken down the entire stand and done one flat sheet along the wall and rebuilt the stand up against and on top of the PVC sheeting. then i could the same for the sheet adjacent, behind, and under the stand area. the sheet under the tank stand turned out well, though and that will stay.

i'm frustrated as it took me a few hours to do what you see above and it's mediocre and not my style and i just wasted a few hours of work. humbug. tomorrow i'll get after it with a better attitude, focused drive, and a plan.

some updated photos of the light fixture...look excellent. very industrial and raw. you can make out the machining and tooling marks which just add to the uniqueness. i'm really digging it!

photo_zps0fe80a03.jpg

photo1_zps985b5771.jpg

Lol ueah i know, but hey he can just mail me one and ill give it a write up lol. Just need one to fit in a 6 foot canopy so maybe 5' 8'' lol. Make sure togive him the lenght for me lol. No but in all seriosness cant wait to see those rocks and everything set up. Looking great so far..

Lol ueah i know, but hey he can just mail me one and ill give it a write up lol. Just need one to fit in a 6 foot canopy so maybe 5' 8'' lol. Make sure togive him the lenght for me lol. No but in all seriosness cant wait to see those rocks and everything set up. Looking great so far..
haha...shoot him an email ([email protected]) and tell him marcos sent you. i'm sure he'll hook it up for you! he does it all in house and really is a creative and engineering talent. maybe you guys can get together on your own project!

thanks for reading my little contribution to the reefing hobby, haha.

my guy at cerameco is really earning his stripes as an artisan now.

we had a nice chat about my goals, coral placement, how i plan to set up the flow in my tank, and aesthetically what i want to accomplish again with some of the emphasis on the feedback provided above and boy did he deliver this time...

i mean, this stuff just made me so happy to see as it really mimics what i was seeing in my head and really got me amped to put into my new tank! he got he detail, barnacles, raised base, height, slope, coral placement levels, etc all of it in this new design. check it out and any feedback (in favor or not) is always welcome but i'm stoked
clap.gif

657a64ab-4767-4899-8866-e54531adbe9a_zps0f8b91cf.jpg

654d8168-b967-4b8d-9e25-cfaab790b28e_zps4f3f09c8.jpg

057fa530-dd2d-4c97-b9a5-0d0bcaee0ea6_zps063d21e9.jpg

d1931bd2-6d76-4f5d-ac8e-2d18cfa333bf_zpsa695198d.jpg

looks so much better and will work better this way. removed the stand completely, installed a full PVC sheet on side and behind stand. then rebuilt stand and installed new leg on mid section right to allow for bulkhead tightening of the emergency drain on the frag tank.

20130829_234320_zps13b8a8df.jpg

20130829_234315_zps3903bdd5.jpg

Back