monkiboy's 265g build thread

new toy came in the mail today - mp60
yay.gif

definitely underestimated how large the whole thing is together, haha. thankfully only half of it goes inside the tank! and boy oh boy do you feel some flow! best thing is that it's actually quieter than my mp40 which now has me investigating what's going on with my mp40, haha. even at full bore, just a slight hum. i'm really impressed as i thought it would louder.

anywho, nothing much else to report. still cycling away.

54e6aa2b-7d4a-4dc9-9844-a81d5ba8c8bb_zpsb96d9763.jpg

19f3e7da-13d6-4626-b0e1-f87fc287133d_zps0f1a38ec.jpg

I have the same questions than Civicdemon. Any updates? :geek:
how the heck do you multi-quote? jeez this is annoying. i swear i was doing this last week. and why am i not receiving my thread updates in my email. sorry to leave you guys hanging!

i have a .75 ammonia spike when i use dr. tim's ammonia chloride and since then nitrites went up to maybe .25 and that was it. i got a few more diatoms and now just waiting on the cyano and a couple a months to allow things to reach balance.

how the heck do you multi-quote? jeez this is annoying. i swear i was doing this last week. and why am i not receiving my thread updates in my email. sorry to leave you guys hanging!

i have a .75 ammonia spike when i use dr. tim's ammonia chloride and since then nitrites went up to maybe .25 and that was it. i got a few more diatoms and now just waiting on the cyano and a couple a months to allow things to reach balance.

Just click the "reply" bottom in all the messages you want to reply and you will see how they'll start adding in the reply box one by one. That's how you can answer all them with one post. ;)

Just click the "reply" bottom in all the messages you want to reply and you will see how they'll start adding in the reply box one by one. That's how you can answer all them with one post. ;)
that can't be right. every time you click an individual "reply" button, you get brought back to the bottom. then scroll back up to grab the next one, then scroll back up to the next one, that's pretty tedious. then when you have replies on multiple pages you need to reply to like i just did, they all disappear when switching to the next page. i swear their used to be a multi-quote button.

that can't be right. every time you click an individual "reply" button, you get brought back to the bottom. then scroll back up to grab the next one, then scroll back up to the next one, that's pretty tedious. then when you have replies on multiple pages you need to reply to like i just did, they all disappear when switching to the next page. i swear their used to be a multi-quote button.

You're right is tedious. The multi-quote button was better. Maybe there's another way to do it.

so tested again tonight to confirm the results from the last few weeks

0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrites
2ppm nitrates

i've been tossing food and using the ammonium chloride that dr. tim offers once a day or every other day into the tank.

i had an initial spike of ammonia at .5ppm for about nine days. on the seventh day, and for only one day nitrites might have hit .25ppm but it was hard to tell. ever since for the last couple weeks i've been at 0ppm ammonia and nitrites and nitrates bouncing around 0-4ppm.

so i'm through the first part of the cycle and had only minimal diatoms which i was surprised by. most times with new tanks i see it everywhere and it gets heavy but the bloom was small and this time was only in patches and gone in three days almost completely. i have some remaining spots on my front glass that i never cleaned but otherwise the tank is looking remarkably clean.

going to wait a while for my first fishes but am going to call in my order for the first group of tangs or wrasses (don't know which i want to start with yet) (if you have an opinion about this, let me know) so they can go through prophylactic treatment over the next month or so and i'll have some life to add down the road.

right now, my fish list looks like below:

TANGS:

yellow belly regal blue
Paracanthurus hepatus

yellow (a few)
Zebrasoma flavescens

achilles
Acanthurus achilles

black
Zebrasoma rostratum

purple
Zebrasoma xanthurum

yellow-eye kole
Ctenochaetus strigosus

chevron
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis

blonde naso
Naso elegans

ANTHIAS:

pictilis
Pseudanthias pictilis

blotched
Holanthias borbonius

WRASSES:
Lineatus Fairy
Cirrhilabrus lineatus

Scott's Fairy
Cirrhilabrus Scottorum

blue star leopard
Macropharyngodon bipartitus

if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts on other fish or substitutions that would be be rare, complimentary, and gorgeous additions, please let me know.

I must say that is one kick ass list of Tangs. Do you think a Achilles tang would be okay as the only tang in a 150? Or still not enough room?

But as Additions, a pair of SA Frozen Frostbite Clowns! They look aweomse :)

I must say that is one kick ass list of Tangs. Do you think a Achilles tang would be okay as the only tang in a 150? Or still not enough room?

But as Additions, a pair of SA Frozen Frostbite Clowns! They look aweomse :)

so the achilles definitely likes its swimming room and in my experience more so than most tangs. it's hard to find small ones and would think a six foot tank would just suffice with enough open space and strong flow. i always have seen them as very active swimmers. they are also said to have been more sensitive to water quality/params then most but i have not experienced that; perhaps that is just luck though.

yeah the frostbit and "chiller" clowns are nice looking. i want something a bit more rare though for a clown pair in the 265, if at all. i will have a nem propogation tank in the fish room so will likely have a nice clown pair there perhaps. maybe a nice frostbite pair there. who knows!

Back