monkiboy's 265g build thread

ok the choat's wrasse is out of QT. it's been about 36 days to today. it's been in my display for two days now. upon introduction it surprisingly didn't dive into the sand which most of my wrasses have done. it meandered for about an hour and was under the sand for the next 24 hours. the next day it was "awake" around 3pm and only out for half hour and back under the sand. today, it was out for three hours swimming calmly in a slightly larger than the day before but still not exploring the 7' fully.
for those that aren't familiar with this species, a quick search will describe how so many are filled with dismay and bad luck trying to keep these guys alive in captivity - it is one of the most difficult leopards there are. the fish isn't one of my favorite aesthetically despite its gorgeous coloration and sheer stature but the allure of doing something that very few can do was instantaneous and i just had to try. being as successful as i've been thus far has increased my interest in the fish a million-fold. seeing it come out the very next day and not spend an extended siesta in the sand napping away brought so much excitement to the house and had me running all over the place trying to find a video camera. most attempts start with successful qt or acclimation and the introduction where the choat will dive the sand and never be seen again so you can imagine the goosebumps i got seeing it the next day swimming about it's new home.

it ate a few enriched blackworms without much excitement, but did eat. ate some PE enriched mysis and hikari mysis and spat a few pieces back. his activity and length of life thus far has me excited as i hear that the two week to 1 month mark is the life clock on this species in captivity. once after that hurdle everyone i talk to that has one has kept them successfully long term.

i'm feeding small amounts as many times as i can while he's awake to take advantage of those few hours but so far so good. no aggression from the other tank inhabitants and he does seem more active and willing to search more of the tank every day.

here's a quick video of him a minute or so after waking mid afternoon in my tank for the first time:

i had asked about them a bit earlier and got some good suggestions. did some more research and found my new solution for lighting in the fish room.

i had a 2x54w t5 fixture and the bulbs and the look were just not a pleasant experience. i went off in search of a brighter, cleaner looking setup that would be less of a hassle. i found an LED panel light i liked from ledwholesalers in california. after speaking to their customer support and getting great feedback from other buyers, i closed the deal on a 48x12" LED panel light.

i took that annoying t5 unit out of there and installed my super slim and sexy LED panel light. results are fantastic - incredibly bright, very unobtrusive, controllable by the apex, and no maintenance.

back side:
f7481d1e-33d8-4278-b465-59dfaf9e7688_zps03480c8c.jpg

front side:
bf83309f-1423-4320-88b8-1e2f56cfdc20_zps4cf9e377.jpg

testing - silly bright at full intensity!
9a8b02d0-5da5-4da3-8091-7682f0d422d1_zpscd830ea3.jpg

installed and on:
dcc5345a-bd96-4791-8ec6-c0616e4e5804_zps0f601d70.jpg

installed and off:
4dcf149a-ee7f-4c47-a5ab-124b8f9f4a0f_zps289a4c59.jpg

Tham man everything is coming along nicely, Im in the middle of making a new fish trap, im tired of my them six line wrasse he doesn't leave my fire fish alone and they never come out couse he chases them into there home, I was thinking of getting a fairy wrasse or something like that. could you recommend I good wrasse tokeep in my 125gl. mixed reef.

thanks for the reply! on this forum i feel like no one follows my build so i'm glad to hear from you ;) some more information would be helpful before making a suggestion. do you have a fine substrate sand bed? what other fish do you have in the tank and how long have they been in there? do you have a tight fitted netted top? can you easily rearrange rockwork, how much rock work do you have in your tank? those kinds of things. it might be better suited to its own thread so you get more views and input though. shoot me a PM with the responses if you like and i'd be glad to help as well!

thanks for the reply! on this forum i feel like no one follows my build so i'm glad to hear from you ;) some more information would be helpful before making a suggestion. do you have a fine substrate sand bed? what other fish do you have in the tank and how long have they been in there? do you have a tight fitted netted top? can you easily rearrange rockwork, how much rock work do you have in your tank? those kinds of things. it might be better suited to its own thread so you get more views and input though. shoot me a PM with the responses if you like and i'd be glad to help as well!

Yeah right we all follow your build.

Ok here goes have had my tank for going on 2 years and the fire fish have been there the longest of all my fish with the six line withing a couple months, they have practically been there for the 2 years. originally i had 4 fire fish until one got eaten by a copper banded shrimp and one disapered. the six line use to be fine with all the fish. As far as fish go i have Yellow, Sailfin, and Atlantic blue tangs, i have a Blue jaw trigger, Dimond goby, 2 clowns, Six Line and 2 fire fish. I have a canopy on the top of my tank and its enclosed all around but the back, but it does have about 6 inches about water where they would have to jump to get out. As far as moving rock work around that is a no go, i might be able to add a couple pieces here and there but im pretty happy how it is now. and substrates is pretty fine sand. Dont really know why the six line has become evil, every time the fire fish come out they only get about 6 inches from there hole and as soon as the six line spots them he chases them back in. So i think he has to go.

i've been taking some photos lately of other member's tanks so thought i'd use the momentum to take some photos of some of the frags in quarantine. i haven't lost any and a few are growing nicely with new branches and corallites. thankfully haven't found any pests in qt yet either.

i'm really trying to work on the quality of photos but i think my gear just gets me by and i need to read up on some of the great articles available on DoF and perhaps getting a new body or tips on lighting so these aren't too great but better than i could do with my phone's camera i think. any tips are welcome!

be48e3c9-0d2c-4115-aad5-747870c35867_zpsd1642fbc.jpg

9029b48c-ad07-405c-b35a-fea0a287b13f_zps2c148e66.jpg

3efa391d-ab3a-42ae-ac2b-948bc59cfe5c_zps79708b70.jpg

4cd2caa6-9d27-4023-a6ad-2fc931bb31f0_zps556286c1.jpg

87c3f9ba-e632-4bc7-9727-f05a9dbadada_zps8adec3dc.jpg

ade9107c-cefc-49fa-a085-5ea58504efa8_zps464e119e.jpg

5cef88fa-ceee-4a39-b328-fd6a01dbaf0f_zps86b421b2.jpg

175d7c5c-bb0e-438d-8aa9-7cac06154c9e_zps427f1bcc.jpg

thanks for your comment and checking out my build thread. i received a lot of great advice on my build thread on another site and hope to be able to increase the DoF and really make these photos get much better with a wider DoF and increased aperture, tripod, and higher shutter speed. i'll be sure to post up my results here for you folks!

thanks for your comment and checking out my build thread. i received a lot of great advice on my build thread on another site and hope to be able to increase the DoF and really make these photos get much better with a wider DoF and increased aperture, tripod, and higher shutter speed. i'll be sure to post up my results here for you folks!
You're welcome and that would be great! I want to learn how to take good pictures too. :D

so thanks to the advice given i started experimenting and here are the results from one example. i tried to use a multi-branching frag so as to have more depth to capture and keep in focus. the results indicate an awesome success.

i found working with the tripod over a tank really difficult. how is this achieved normally without putting a plank across the tank and using a miniature tripod to access anything wider (away from you) than the first 6" of the tank?

thankfully my shutter speed didn't have to drop too slow as i got pretty good results at f9 (in aperture priority) which put me at 1/15 second shutter speed for the given shot below.

i tried to edit the photos identically to make it easy to tell the change in depth of field.

given what was shared about how my focus point changes the area of depth of field and how the f9 photo came out while focusing on the center of the acro, i know i can take the focus point and move it the point closer to me of the acro and very well get the entire colony in focus. you can see the epoxy on the bottom of the frag plug even starts to become in focus so moving the focus meter closer to me while taking the shot will keep the entire frag in focus at f9 it appears.

here's the first shot at f5:

d864945d-9fc7-4c85-b5ac-80fc226f9a7a_zps01697b99.jpg

here's the second shot at f9:

2fc96fc0-c3e0-4f31-842f-644707736673_zps17fc8dab.jpg

The second picture with the focus on the frag's center at f9 is a big improvement if compare with the first one. I like it better, but I think that the focus should still be wider so it can cover all the frag because I can see that the top part of the frag isn't very focus. But you're definitely getting better at this. What kind of camera are you using for this pictures?

i'm using a sony alpha 100 (a100) and a tamron 90mm macro 1:1 lens.

the key to depth of field besides the obvious smaller aperture opening (higher f-stop) is focusing. This is hard to explain here but your depth of field will be 1/3 in front of the point you fucus on and 2/3's behind. So if your depth of field is 15 inches. Everything 5 inches in front of and 10 inches behind the point you focus on should be in acceptably sharp focus. Of course this changes with what the depth of field is and the f'stop. Hope this make sense.

so the plan was to get the tankless water heater installed today. i have a buddy that owns a commercial HVAC design/build company, pierce associates and he sent his superintendent and his best tech out for the install bright and early this morning at 6am. after evaluating the situation and placement to maximize the space for my water change station and in my fish room we are going to have to get a bit creative. more details to come...

awesome news is that the guy doing the install is a divemaster! he's telling me about all his dives all over the world and his tanks and his 2500g outdoor catfish and koi ponds and turtle breeding projects. this guy has all kinds of stories and connections. we spent about an hour just talking fish and about his dives. it's awesome!

Pretty!

Tankless WH is on my to-do list for my house as well.
Of course it's cheaper because I'll be doing the install.

Nice pics and corals!

haven't updated in a while - sorry!

have a few colonies and frags out of qt so took the time to take some photos. these aren't super nice but i'm working on it - i liked these as they came out as very good representations of the coral subject. things are growing pretty quickly and some of the wild colonies are growing very nicely even in qt and adapting to my system great which is exciting.

have lots more to update on system-wise but thought in the interim i'd toss these up while i still had energy to do so. let me know what you think and any feedback is helpful - thanks!

2245a9ca-5688-49cd-8236-f826ec64891a_zps4b7e00da.jpg

d882cd4f-59f3-4e97-993d-e40071a2212f_zps92e097b4.jpg

d25f54fc-3d11-45c2-a341-ce20e9558d61_zps79cfd5f1.jpg

ca81d39a-e717-450f-b07e-bda88667a66e_zpscb2da128.jpg

89669a78-3c85-4bb4-b5ef-f5f887e97dfc_zps06fc46d7.jpg

548c5eff-ae71-4b8e-a395-f66dd5668604_zpsf38125b3.jpg

28d75a2c-b65c-4b2f-997b-90137dbf6a01_zpsf3f90dd3.jpg

81bc64e2-7299-45be-8a0c-97d35e76946d_zps9afd4b00.jpg

ad57ca91-0375-46eb-8b7b-8e9fe59b3495_zpsaa932dc0.jpg

539a2fa3-b7a0-4043-b3a7-d7e7d8c63f0f_zpsd5fe3baf.jpg

a8dd0016-24f8-4925-9180-aa1eb93dd400_zps2d3c9a0b.jpg

03f5afef-36c0-4ba9-a68f-bcc06b5576fa_zps82a3c95d.jpg