Moving My Tank

KarenJax

Certified Master Stylist
I will be having to move my tanks soon to my new home. Any advice would be appreciated. My plan for the 10 which has my livestock is drain 50% put the full hood back on it. My biggest fear is stirring up the sand since I live on a very bumpy dirt road. Should I just bag everybody that I can catch or leave them in there?

I would put all your livestock into buckets or containers for the move. I wouldn't leave them in the tank. I would also rinse the sand out before you set it back up again.

You do realize that eve a 10 gallon tank only half full would still be atleast 40 pounds? Then add in the sand and it will get heavier quickly.

I am with Biff, remove all the water and put the fish and corals into a 5 gallon bucket to make the move. It will be a lot safer than moving it with water in it.

Ooooh ok this will also give me the chance to pull some of the crushed coral out. I have 3 1 gallon buckets, 3 5 gallon buckets. I know I can put the clowns together in one bucket, my live rocks by themselves in another. Beaker by himself in a 1 gallon? Peps and starfish in one together?

I will probably catch heat fir this but i have moved my 150 a couple times and will be moving again in a couple weeks i remove everything and place what i can in buckets that i have then i make a trip to walmart and pick out some coolers that look like tgey will hold up and be water tight then checkout w a credit card and return the coolers later make sure you dontget the huge coolers but the smaller ones they get he
avy. Then have some friends help you after you have prepared for the move remember to put fish in without live rock that can crush them. I hate moving and nobody heard the walmart cooler thing from me lol. And i would add more than a couple inches more water equals more stable levels and temp

Last edited:
My fish are very small. I think the clowns might be 2-2.5 inches long and beaker is 2.5 inches long. I've decided to re aquascape when I get them moved anyway lol

don't forget your getting that 55g as well Karen :D and you and i will be exchanging in our frag eachother program still right :D just wating on my other order from F&S and I will frag away BUDD-EEE ;)

don't forget your getting that 55g as well Karen :D and you and i will be exchanging in our frag eachother program still right :D just wating on my other order from F&S and I will frag away BUDD-EEE ;)

Read that. YOU said it. BUDD-EEE. :rofl:

Here is how I have moved stuff...my 125 gal, fish and LR included. I took the fish out, put them in buckets, filled the buckets almost full of water. put a towel over the top of the buckets and secure the towel on with rope, or duck tape, or tiedowns or whatever so it stays on top. You will loose some water but not too much, and more water is less sloshing for the fish. The LR I put in one of those big plastic storage containers they sell at homedepot and walmart. We use them for everything so I bought a new one, just put the rock in there, you don't need any water. Then soak a towel in salt water and lay it over the top of the rock, they will stay wet enough...unless your moving like 5 hrs away. I then put it all in the back of a truck. Save at least 1/2 the water to put back in your tank, and use 1/2 new salt water. And rinse your sand out real well before you put it back in your tank. I only wish I was moving a small tank, I have so much rock and the tank is so big, it was a huge pain...I love having a big tank, but hate it at the same time. I want to get a new stand, but that would require tearing down my whole set up just to lift the tank and put a different stand under it. And the teardown, set up process would be a full day. Good luck with your move!

Back