My 28g Tank with Curing Live Rock, it's getting there!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Hi All,
I thought I'd let you know I'm two weeks into the tank curing of the live rock. The first few day were like we were living in a salt marsh! The smell was, shall we say, real round! A couple scrubbings and massive water changes to mellow the ammonia levels.

I will include some pictures, the live rock will move until my wife and I are satisfied with the layout.

The best news is that we here, in little old Syracuse NY, have our very own reef specialty shop! Shall I endorse them on the product reviews side? They are awesome!

Next I am getting a decent protein skimmer, I'l post for that as well.

Any suggestions on the tank? There is 50+ lbs of FL LR, I have it stacked so the interior is quite open (for eventual Banggai Cardinal - local bred!)

My wife would prefer less rock, less cluttered. I said it was suggested to have 2lb/G because the aquacltured FL LR is more dense/less porous and need for filtering. What do you think?

Sorry for the long windyness!

Attachments

• CIMG2571.JPG
    CIMG2571.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 407
  • CIMG2572.JPG
    CIMG2572.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 668
  • CIMG2573.JPG
    CIMG2573.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 420
  • CIMG2578.JPG
    CIMG2578.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 784
that looks good the way tou have it. your sand is a big bio filtration just as much as the rock is so i think you will be fine with what you have if you like it

Do you have a sump? If you do you could move some of the rock into the sump. That would free up space in the main tank. You would still get the benefit of the LR and have more room for fish. :D

Thanks Daugherty!

Ted, no, I don't have a sump, but that's a good idea. I think if a remove a few small base rock pieces, it will open up a little more. I will be installing a skimmer at some point too!

It looks good to me...I like a lot of rockwork. It makes it look natural to us, and feel natural to your livestock. Good job.

Feel free to remove rock if you think you'd prefer it more open -- 1 to 2 lbs per gallon is the recommended amount, and you'd still be in that range.

Everything is looking really good!

Thanks Smitty

Thanks Biff! I did another almost full water change today, and my wife and I have rearranged the layout. There is still a large open area in the middle for hiding, but looks a little less massive. I will post pix tomorrow of the new layout.
David

Back