My Dwarf Seahorse Aquariums

dont worry hannah,ive read many articals,i am home like all the time and have many hours to dedicate to these lil guys,i hatch brine all the time for my fish,granted thats not all i feed of course,im going to take the free horse class that you guys have been talkin about so much,i may try to see if they show any interest in some frozen brine

Very cool Cynster best of luck with them!

I ordered my seahorses today!! I asked for 2 males or 2 females because I do not want to deal with babies.

Tanker, make sure you understand the commitment these guys require. They DO NOT eat frozen, you must hatch and enrich brine shrimp for them. What logan was telling you want total bull.
Agree +100

I check on mine at least 3 times a day to be sure they have enough food - and I have to plan hatching the best I can, and sometimes the brine just dies and I have to have enough backups to be sure the dwarfs have food all day. I have heard of some eating cyclops-eez but mine have tried it but don't like it and it fouls the tank. To be honest it nearly crashed my tank, but I've been checking my water parameters every day to be sure I am giving them enough water changes.

If you have major dedication to their food and water quality, they are wonderful rewarding pets - but they do require much more thought than most fish. Mine are really hardy, but I treat disease immediately and keep their environment as clean as possible and it took a while to adjust the flow to be good for them and still keep the water moving.

Definitely not saying it is impossible at all - far from it - but if you are looking for a low-maintenance fish, the dwarfs are one of the most high maintenance, at least in my opinion.

dont worry hannah,ive read many articals,i am home like all the time and have many hours to dedicate to these lil guys,i hatch brine all the time for my fish,granted thats not all i feed of course,im going to take the free horse class that you guys have been talkin about so much,i may try to see if they show any interest in some frozen brine

That is wonderful! :) That is the biggest factor in my opinion, already growing brine for other fish with experience feeding and growing brine. My advice would be to turn the flow and filters off and try just a very tiny amount of frozen with some garlic extract to entice them, then fish it out if they don't eat it. They may nip at it, but mine did that without actually eating it and it was everywhere - I fished as much as I could but it totally messed up my water quality.

Good luck to you!! I highly suggest getting a large amount for the 10 gallon. 11 is -just- enough for my 5 gallon, I'd suggest around 20 for the 10 gallon unless you partition it.

Very cool Cynster best of luck with them!

I ordered my seahorses today!! I asked for 2 males or 2 females because I do not want to deal with babies.
Ooh awesome! You'll have to show pics! What species did you get? I don't blame you about the babies though (for the ones that don't hitch at birth and require constant rotation) - that looks TOUGH.

Ooh awesome! You'll have to show pics! What species did you get? I don't blame you about the babies though (for the ones that don't hitch at birth and require constant rotation) - that looks TOUGH.

I am getting sunbursts they will be here on wednesday yes yes of course I will take pics! I cant wait. I asked for one that has spikes, I think those are so freaking cool. And I asked them to send me the most quirky weird ones they have because I love my fish to be weirdos LOL

With my reef tank I sat in the store for at least half an hour each time I bought a new fish and would just watch how they behaved, how interested they were in me, and how they interacted with the other fish in the tank to pick the one I wanted.

Sad to say he finally passed - but I don't really contribute it to the tail rot actually.

The medication caused a mini cycle to take place in my DT (and I am -crushed-) so I'm waiting on some advice on how to proceed from some seahorse people. I'm not touching it yet because I don't want to mess it up.The sooner the bacteria regains strength the better. -bangs head on wall- I will figure this out, I am determined!

The hypothesis was: would a seahorse recover better if kept with the community, and other than the side-effects of the medicine it was proving true. I just need a way to eradicate the sickness without stressing the seahorse from being alone...

I'm going to update later on what my next course of action is for the tank and for any future illness. I really wish my display tank was cycled, so I could move them all to better water conditions, but the display tank is right in the middle of its cycle. D: I have to say once these two tanks are stable, I will have a great risk mitigation system in case of partial crashes like these -bangs head on wall again-

The rest are doing fine, I have no idea how :/ I'll keep everyone updated. Hopefully I can nip this mini cycle in the bud before it causes any damage >:/

Im sorry to hear about losing the boy :(

But really, you should never medicate a DT. If you insist on medicating, you should always do it in another tank. Its up to you to decide if the stress of moving to a new tank and doing treatment is worth it, for most fish they will actually recover on their own as long as they are eating.

Yeah - I won't ever do it again. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to set everything up yet... Once I do, I'll update and explain :) At least he's in a better place now without tail rot continuing to affect him.

Well I moved the dwarfs to the display tank. Though it's newer, there is no ammonia or nitrite and I want them to be in an environment that won't be toxic for them. Here's what it looks like:
IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

thanks! It really brightens their colors too I am noticing. I think they like it better too :D hehe. They are now very comfortable and all swimming around. The current is easier on them too :)

what brand is it? how big are the grains of sand?

im asking cause im looking to get some but i dont want powder sugar small lol ,thats what i have now and everytime anything touches it it makes a cloud of sand i hate it cause the sand is all on my rocks :(

they are big so you are in luck and apparently they they are "instant cycle" with good bacteria on them or something. It's not true but I thought it couldn't hurt lol - it is called Instant Aquarium - and it isn't messy or anything. It's bright black and there is even a kind of sparkle to it :) I really like it.

they are big so you are in luck and apparently they they are "instant cycle" with good bacteria on them or something. It's not true but I thought it couldn't hurt lol - it is called Instant Aquarium - and it isn't messy or anything. It's bright black and there is even a kind of sparkle to it :) I really like it.

very cool it hasnt lost its darkness? i hear that some black sands lose their blackness and even become more of a charcoal ashy color, thanks and ill definetely be looking at it :D

this is it im guessing?
http://www.caribsea.com/pages/buy_it/instant_aquarium/buy_tahitian_moon.html

Back