My ever coninuing questions thread...

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
Thought I would start a new thread, the last one was breaking 20 pages on what to do next, my tank is cycled?!
Well tonight after I get back from rheinlander, my friend whos dad gave me the coral frags, notifies me that he is going up to rheinlander tomorrow and asked if I needed anything else or forgot anything today. I'm kind of thinking I should get some sort of powerhead for the other side of my tank, not that I actually have some corals, it may be necessary! What do you guys recommend for my situation? All i have for flow right now is the return from my mag 7 on the far right side of my tank at an angle, it covers that half of the tank with pretty decent flow through my diffuser/return. Also I have my el-cheapo hang on filter i left on when I added the sump to remove some excess debris from the water. I wanna either A.) get rid of it completely or B.) put it in my fuge? just to have some mechanical filtration
What do you guys think I should do with it? Ive been cleaning out the filter every few days and its pretty full of debris. I could modify it if needed to fit in my sump. I think it would just add more noise under my tank, it would be quite a waterfall drop from the top of the tank to the fuge, and add a bunch more bubbles...
Back to the powerhead issue, I wanna text him tomorrow morning and tell him to pick up one for me i think, what would be appropriate? Think I will get away with 1 more for the other side of my tank? What are some good models? I like the input from the forums! The mag 7 is working great, the skimmer and overflow as well, in fact everything!
My corals seem to be doing alright the last few hours, within a minute after the lights cut they curled up and hid, except the leathers still have all the polyps stuck out, is that normal or are my moon lights too bright? Will my fish be able to sleep with all 4 of my white LED moon lights on? My friends dad electrical taped over all of his except 1 because he said his fish didnt sleep with them on, but do fish even sleep?
That one wierd curcled up coral he gave me opened up more when the lights went out, could it be a nocturnal coral of some type?
Aquarium140.jpg

I just wanna know what it is so i can place it right, maybe it just hates the faster flowing water on that side of the tank? or its too far down and its not getting enough light when they are on?

If you can afford it, go with the Hydor Koralias. If those are too expensive, go with the MaxiJets. For your tank, I would have at least 2 powerheads. And no, that coral is not nocturnal, that's just the way it looks :).

The moon lights are not too bright -- your fish and corals will be fine with them on.

You really think I need 2 powerheads on top of the flow from the mag 7 return? that moves quite a bit of water on that side of the tank. I dunno where I would really put 2 more, 1 on the opposite end of course, and 1 in the middle angling towards the side with the least flow? What flow rate should I go with the hydor koralias?
That one looks kinda scary, its a propeller type of thing? My friends dad had one in his tank that was basically like my return pump almost... it had an inlet on 1 side with a big filter (the cleaner shrimp were loving cleaning the filter) would something like that be excessive in my tank? what if my shrimp or something crawls in that propeller? Othewise that look cool, small and discreet, which is kinda nice i guess. What flow rate should I go with though?

I just read through the "water movement" thread and was enlightened a bit. Think I should go with the 2 of the koralia power heads, maybe a #2 on the other side and a #1 in the middle angling towards any dead spots, or lower in the tank? Or what would you suggest?
I'm heading to bed, thanks for the advice, ill check in the morning and let him know what to pick me up.

I had two #3 in my 55Gallon 48in. long tank,

one on each side , you have a decent amount od flow on the return already so I would suggest 2 #2's one on each side,

I agree about the powerheads.I'd go with a Koraila#4 and a #3.But thats just me,I like a lot of flow.

You got a healthy looking kenya weed ( oops ment tree) there.

i would go with 1# 4 and 1 #3 and put one on each end, but i (like Yote) like a lot of flow. you will have to tinker with them to get the pattern just right, but you will not be disappointed in them. i have 2 #4's in my 125 with a seio 1500, a modded MJ 1200, and a 1200gph (at 4' head) return pump. HTH

Yeah, double post kinda, but my friends dad was throwing it away by handfulls a few weeks ago, is this something thats going to consume my tank? I mean i could use it, i have a lot of bare rocks right now... Is it ethical to pull out excess corals and throw them away? seems kinda mean to me, but if they do end up consuming my tank what should I do?

frag them and trade in the frags for credit at you favorite LFS. that is how i offset some of the expense of the hobby.

Kenya trees spread so rapidly and easily, that my LFS won't even take them. You can't GIVE them away around here. I end up throwing them away in the trash, because they do take over eventually.

Its not like Kenyas are sentient being or anything.My LFS doesn't take them either so toss them in the trash if needed.I don't think Kenyas are going to be extinct anytime soon.

OR if you know a new hobbiest thats just got their tank cycled,
Give them a few Kenya Weeds.Their perfect for boosting a newbys interest.

HEYYY! Thats almost offending, but true! Ill grow anything right about now, even if its garbage. I got my 2 #2 hydor powerheads, at my friends house right now, gunna go home and install them soon. What should i do for placement? what is a common placement for a long narrow tank? Ive got my 600 gph flow from my return on the far right side pushing water at an angle from the back corner towards the middle right now. Where should I put the 2 600 gph powerheads do you guys think?

i would put one in the back left corner aimed towards the middle, and the other maybe in the front right corner aimed toward the back center of the tank (pushing through the return flow). you will have to play around with them to get the flow right for you.

TIDBIT ... if you rotate the prop part of the pump it will keep the PH from blowing the sand everywhere.

Back