My ever coninuing questions thread...

Sweet thanks biff! Ill go to the hardware store tonight and look for some stuff. I think this looks like something that will live nicely in my closet with a nice discreet tube taped along the wall at an ever sloping downward angle. Just out of curiosity how does that float valve thing from the toilet work? Its obviously mechanical and not a switch of any kind, when it gets down to a certain point it is angled enough so the valve is open? I guess you would just have to tinker around with it and make sure you have it at the right angle. Ill maybe print a picture and take it to the hardware store. The guy working there wants to know how my sump turned out anyway from the last DIY!

You're exactly right. The float floats on top of the water (obviously). The back end of the float is attached to the side of the tank, it's clamped on. As the water level lowers, the float lowers, which opens up a valve. Water from the jugs flows out of the valve until the water level gets high enough again for the float to close the valve.

I picked up my serpent star finally, here the LFS had one all along that I never noticed. pretty small, about the size of your hand, maybe a bit bigger. green with yellow spines around him. I liked the red one, but he said around 50$ for that one... 20 for this one. so green it is!

Oh, and also at the LFS he offered me a nice looking piece of green frog spawn about 1.5-2" in diameter, and its attached to about a half pound live rock, he said he'd let it go for 30$ rock and all. I said id come back tomorrow or another day cause im adding my serpent star today and have to work at 4 so i dont have a lot of time to acclimate new stuff and eat/get ready for work. Does that sound like a good deal to u guys? that frog spawn looks awesome! and im thinking maybe my little clown would host in it.

Watch out for the green serpent star! They are nicknamed "Green Deaths". LOL. Bet that's not what you wanted to hear :(. They eat small fish.

Frogspawns are good, hardy, easy corals. At my LFS they go for $25 a head. So to me, $30 sounds like a reasonable price for one.

GREEN DEATHS? what??!! why would he be any different than another colored serpent star... damn it. Think my small 6 line, small clown, big clown, small horseshoe crab will be safe?

should be fine. i dont think they are too much of a danger... posibly to gobys that are always on the sand bed.... i wouldnt worry

What? Should I call the pet store and yell at him and see if he will take it back? or test my luck? I think this guys pretty small to take out my clowns, especially since they have never ventured within 8" of the bottom of the tank. Im worried about my 6 line though, hes always playing around in the rocks and he sleeps in there at night when the brittle star is out "HUNTING" according to info online. So great, its hunting while my fish are sleeping.

I just called and asked what his experience is with them, he said they havent attacked anything hes had. He also added "keep off that internet, your learning too much that isnt true" God I wish we had a good LFS where the owner wasnt old fashioned and didnt trust the BEST INFORMATION SOURCE EVER...

Im going to test my luck I think, ill put him in, and if he eats my 6-line ill go back to the LFS with the star in hand and a bill for the wrasse...

Back