My First Salt Water Tank 29 Gallon!!!

i have a 30 gallon similar in size to yours. i had a canister on there for a while until i had the $ for a skimmer. i went with the octo 100f and ditched the canister. makes water changes less frequent and you will be amazed when you see the crap a skimmer pulls out of your water. nasty smelly dirty stuff that was floating around in your water! like biff said add some live rock too, not only does it add filtration (biological) it looks nice.

Also i went to a new lfs store today and they told me, that some of the coral that i wanted to get i need a new light. Right now i have a current usa 130 watt light compact kind. What kind to i need he said i needed metal halide.

Patrick, Just realized you are from Madison. I live South of you by a couple miles :-). Not too often you run into another Mississippi person on the same forum! I too am in startup mode (couple months in) and these guys here have been an awesome help!

If you want to keep certain corals, they do recommend stronger lighting. Opinions will vary on what type, and how much, but the general consensus is that your regular run of the mill Compact Florecents are not enough.

a good T-5 / VHO setup can work nicely, but from my research and simply looking around here locally, nothing beats a good Halide / T-5 Combo not only for good growth, but also bringing out the best in coloration from your tank.

Which LFSs have you been hitting? I have been to all them in the Metro area and struck up a good re pour with certain people at each. I might can steer you in the right direction and let you know who i have found to be great resources and the ones that have been so-so. You can talk to some people who really DO know what they are talking about, and then some just THINK they know what they are talking about. I have fallen victem to some of these.

Look forward to swapping some frags with you in the future!

Dane

Also, If you want to see my setup, I can show you. I just went through the whole "Skimmer Vs. Filtration" thing, Sump Build, HOB Overflow, Etc. I have finally got my system fine tuned!

July 16th added 26 pounds of base rock.
P7165360.jpg

P7165358.jpg

P7165357.jpg

P7165356.jpg

P7165355.jpg

Went by a new LFS that had some great corals! Also really good deals compared to the shop close to me. Got some green star polops, Toadstool Leather, Ricordia what color do i call this? Only cost $30 for all 3 corals.

July 22nd.
P7225382.jpg

P7225383.jpg

P7225384.jpg

P7225385.jpg

P7225386.jpg

Dskirtech good to meet you. I forever just went to the fish bowl. Lately i discovered Saltwater World, there is a big difference between the two. Saltwater World has tons of coral. Yeah i would love to swap some coral some time. Don't have much yet still getting set up. Where is your tank thread?

Excellent Patrick! And you can call me Dane. That is some Good looking additions to your tank... i LOVE the mushroom!

Yea, the second I saw your Multi colored Zoo Frag and the Arrow Crab I knew EXACTLY where you got them from. In fact, I almost bought that exact FRAG!

Scott, Mike & Karoline are good people. I REALLY like Saltwater World. In fact, Im getting the EXTREME hookup on a 72" Metal Halide / CF combo fixture with Ballast and Bulbs from Scott!

My Tank thread is Here: https://www.livingreefs.com/danes-125-gallon-marine-setup-t19451.html

Keep in touch!

Dane

Where in Madison do you live? My Parents live in Madison.

Live in North Place, right off us51. The multi colored zoo came from fishbowl frag is huge. Yeah they are going to work on getting me a good light also next month when i get a little extra cash. My green star polyps haven't opened in about 2 days any idea why anyone?

Ok... You are right. I remember Wendy showing me that one there. I bounce around to all of them so much I sometimes get them confused! Is that the one she had in her Show Tank by the register?

As for your Green star, try different flow locations and levels in your tank. My button Polys are real picky about where they want to be. Too much light intensity and they dont want to open. The same with too much water flow.

Dane

PS, have you been to "The Jungle" on 49 south yet? Justin, the owner, has a pretty neat frag tank with some good looking specimens. not a huge selection of fish yet, but he is growing fast.

Last edited:
They have fully opened with me moving the closer to the top of the tank. No I haven't been there yet dane. As good as saltwater world? Do you remember if sww had any blue zoos?

Im not sure if SWW had blues or not.. I did see they had a TON of Polys, and a decent assortment of zoos. I REALLY want some of the electric blue ones..

Havent started the thread yet. We just set it up last weekend. Im in the process of seeding it with water from my big tank, so it has been a slow process. Today Im going to try to get some live rock for it.

I have several tanks that I have aquired over the years of doing my Freshwater Fish. My Current Inventory is:

125 DT (Coral)
30 Gal (Sump)
20 Gal (Hospital Tank)
55 Gal (FOWLR)
10 Gal (Going to be the sump for the 55 FOWLR)

They are getting some blues in this coming tues. Not sure what kind. Electric blues is what im looking for too.

FYI, Im sure you probably already know this, but since Alan has been out for a while @ the Fish Bowl, work with Randal. That guy knows his stuff! prolly one of the most knowledgeable marine guys I have met around town.

Back