My glass doghouse

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I swear this hobby has gotten me into more trouble than any other one I've ever been in.

So it's my glass doghouse but I love it!

The tank is a 47g tall Marineland. I have about 80-100lbs of live rock in the tank, a sandbed with some crushed coral I couldn't fish out that's about 3-5" deep. I'm currently running a lightly modded BakPak with some cheato, and a carbon bag stuffed in the return side. I have two MJ900's with the 1600 gph Sureflow mods on.

Here's where I started: And yes, that's a 2 y.o.'s Original in the corner :)
SU1HMDAxNzcuanBn.jpg

Here's where I was with a good light! It's a 250 watt MH pendant.
SU1HMDAyMTguanBn.jpg

My first coral addition:
Coral001.jpg

My 2nd, 3rd, and 4th corals:
Corals007.jpg

Corals006.jpg

Xenia002.jpg

My latest and last edition, sorta got carried away:
Corals008.jpg

Here's the tank right now. I need to move the xenia around. Right now I think it's too close to the torch..I originially had the xenia up higher but it shriveled up BAD. It's about half the size it was originally, I thought it was going ot die, but it's starting to pulse again and standing upright. Kinda don't want to move it because it looks good! It's about 5.5-6" from the torch, think it's safe?
Tank006.jpg

I think your okay with the distance for a good while until the torch grows much bigger.
In looking at your tank are you sure that rock is stable. It looks like it could tumble down at any minute. :shock:
Probably just looks that way?

YIKES!! Is that LR supported with something? It looks really cool but you could come home to it all over your floor, not trying to scare you, if there's a rock slide in there.

I think your Xenia should be fine seeing how your torch doesn't look to have extraordinarily long tentacles yet. Plus, it'll spread all over your tank if it likes your water conditions. So if some gets stung eventually, just think of it as population control.

Good Luck! and Good Reefing!

Thats a good looking doghouse Garret:D
And those are some good looking corals you've added.SEE,I told you there was no turning back once you added the first coral:mrgreen:

The rock is surprisingly stable. The only pieces that move a little are the top ones..and it takes a good push to get it to rock..I don't see there being anyway for it to go anywhere. I spent about 11 hours total to get it to be that stable, lol. So hopefully it'll stay!

Yote..Man, I had no idea. In two weeks fish shop gets another shipment, so there will be another sale. Looks like I'll be spending some more money then. Any suggestions on something I should pick up?

What kinda corals do you want/interested in? SPS? LPS?

Some LPS that are nice are Acans, Micromussa's or some Blastomussa's. :D

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely LPS and softies for now. I really need something I can mount on the rock. The way its stacked I have hardly any ledges available and the sandbed is very small.

Can you use epoxy in a tank with corals and fish? Looking for a way to stick the corals to the rock. Not sure how solid super glue is.

I really like the shape of this tank. its very unique. not may tanks on here similar to this. Gotta love those sureflow mods. I have a couple on my 1200s too. push out some serious flow.

Most pieces you buy come on those frag plugs so you can just wedge them into your rock work. Never used any superglue or epoxy. But I know there are products for such a use.

Also. Look into a frogspawn coral and duncans. Not sure if it's a Duncan in one of the pics you posted or not but they're very nice and hardy and seem to do well in any flow. I've never had any luck with leathers, oddly enough, so I tend to stay way from them. Plus I don't find them as much of an eye candy as some nice micros or blastos. Ew! Or elegance corals are nice, but I'd wait for the tank to mature a little more.

Super glue gel does pretty good under water.And any epoxy thats safe for pottable water is fine.You cal also do like Sniffles suggested and just wedge the plugs into a crack in the rock.

Okie, so tomorrow I get paid..YAY, first paycheck from a new job. And like a good husband I'm going to spend some of that money on my tank. I'm looking into getting a skimmer to replace my bakpak. I really don't know for sure if it needs to be replaced, but I want to do what's going to be the best for my tank so it needs to go.

Looking to spend about 200-250. I have a feeling that'll put me in Octopus 800s territory. I have to have a HOB model and it has to be no more than 250ish, otherwise I'm totally open to suggestions. I'd also like it to be as quite as a HOB skimmer can be.

Great looking tank. Now your in the same category as the rest of us:bowdown:. Broke, and always getting yelled at for spending more time either on the forum or messing witht the tank. Glad you like your dogghouse. :frustrat:

Since adding that torch to the front my clowns have been coming to the front more and more. Kinda weird. And damn has that thing extended. The polyps were about .5-1" max when I got it..now they stick out up to 3" almost all the time!

newgrowth009.jpg

Thats a nice healthy torch.
Garret,I think its time to move your Pavona up just a tad.
You really need to get away from that torch to.If the torch touches that Pavona,it'll probably kill it.

Back