My glass doghouse

Thats a nice healthy torch.
Garret,I think its time to move your Pavona up just a tad.
You really need to get away from that torch to.If the torch touches that Pavona,it'll probably kill it.

And that Clown looks like he might just knock it over trying to host it. Could be a recipe for disaster.

That pavona looks closer than it is, its not in line with the torch. Thanks for the advice on moving it up. I went ahead and did that this morning. What should I try to do? Move it up closer to the light a few inches every couple days?

It still looks nice and fuzzy so maybe it will make it. After looking at this stuff for a week now I really think I prefer the lps and softies. I really like the movement of it in the tank.

My mushrooms have basically exploded. They have probably tripled in size, but they have lost their bright coloring. What steps do I need to take to help make them more green? Ill try and get some pictures up of it today so you can see what I mean.

New additions:

Clamandfrogspawn001-1.jpg

Clamandfrogspawn002.jpg

Moved some things around. The xenia is up the on right side of one of the rocks. Mounted it kinda horizontally with superglue(that was not as easy as I thought it was going to be and have white fingertips to prove it).

The torch got put more in the center of the tank, the frogspawn is behind it but coming out of the rockwork more. I stuck the clam in close to the side that I usually sit by, so I could stare at it...

The clam is about 3" long. Do you think I should dose with phyto? Also, should I move it up any? Just want to make sure it's going to get enough light.

Nice clam.
Biffs right.No need to dose phyto.Ever notice that green dusty haze that gets on the glass? Thats natural live phyto:D so no need to pour dead phyto in the tank.
On the Pavona,you got the right idea.Just move up a couple of inches or so every day or 2 until you get it where you want it.

Nice clam.
Biffs right.No need to dose phyto.Ever notice that green dusty haze that gets on the glass? Thats natural live phyto:D so no need to pour dead phyto in the tank.
On the Pavona,you got the right idea.Just move up a couple of inches or so every day or 2 until you get it where you want it.

Thanks Yote. Can I do the same for most of my other corals too? I think I found a spot I'd really like to put it that's almost at the top of the tank.

Still getting the occassional sandstorm. The clam is open nicely, and is getting some sand in the meat of it. Do I need to worry about that at all?

I'd assume not. There's a lot more current out in the wild than in my lil tank, but just want to make sure.

So does it hurt the clam? I personally don't mind it. It does kinda mess up the overall beauty of the clam, but otherwise I don't mind.

If I wanted to put it on a rock, how do I go about doing it? When it contracts it pushes pretty hard into the sand. I'd be worried on a rock it'd nock itself off.

If it is not able to flush the sand out of itself or if the sand impairs it from opening fully it could harm it in the long haul. As far as placing it on the rocks it will attach itself with it's foot and hold on. You just need to place it somewhere flat and it will attach itself within a few days.

Hmm..Have to think about it a little bit. I could put it where the Zoas are on a little ledge there. It'd be higher up towards the light, but it'd be angled funny..

Just a little update, pictures are awful without a flash on since the bulb is so damn yellow(still waiting on reefgeek to check out my 20K that lasted a whopping 5 days). With a flash you can at least see the different colors.

aquariumupdate007.jpg

aquariumupdate008.jpg

aquariumupdate009.jpg

aquariumupdate001.jpg

So far everything is really growing well and I haven't lost anything. I don't have the torch, xenia, or mushrooms posted.

My clowns are really starting to mess with my zoas and torch. Hopefully they'll settle down or else I'm not sure what I'm going to have to do with them. I added a bunch of different types of macroalgae to the tank...it's really hard to see in the pictures but it's there. It's all red on the bottom and there are a lot of greens up higher.

My newest issue is flow. I've decreased it a lot because my sureflow mods were putting out too much for one source. Right now I just have two MJ1200's on the top pointing at the glass. Need to add one or two more powerheads but haven't decided where.

The pavona was almost dead. I had it in a high flow area and that, plus being too close to the light made it bleach bad. Half the thing was solid white. I moved it down and into lower flow and it's gotten all of its polyps back aside from right at the base. It still hasn't gotten it's nice pink hues back, but at least it's still alive.

Back