My Goby is kidnapping snails.

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
Im not sure what he thinks he is doing. Or why he is doing it. But my goby sneak attacks my snails. My dwarf ceriths to be exact. He hides behind a rock and then out of nowhere comes out picks one up in his mouth and disappears behind the rock work. He has done this SEVERAL times now. Can anyone tell me why he could be doing this or is my goby just really disturbed??

Ha! I got nothing here either, but that is odd, and funny. He's not eating them is he?? Weird wild stuff Marines wife, weird wild stuff.

No he just kidnaps them. He sits on his little rock and stares for like an hour and then all of the sudden goes for one, takes it and disappears. Its the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I think they would all flee if they saw him coming but they are pretty slow....

I can just hear them "oh no Earl, here comes that fish again, start truckin'" Then I picture this sloooooo mooooo snail race off the rock.
What a funny fish you got there, well, at least he's entertaining himself.

I can just hear them "oh no Earl, here comes that fish again, start truckin'" Then I picture this sloooooo mooooo snail race off the rock.
What a funny fish you got there, well, at least he's entertaining himself.
He is by far my most favorite fish. He has quite the attitude on him and it cracks me up constantly. Ill see if I can get a video of him doing it at some point...the problem is he is so random at doing it...

And I think my snails have watched to much Jurassic Park.....they think if they dont move my goby doesnt see them....oh he sees them....

Oh my gosh, you are hilarous Marines wife. "stay real still and he'll just swim on by.." Seems like all the weird, strange looking, or just plain ugly fishies are peoples' favorites. I gotta get me a weirdo fish!

Oh my gosh, you are hilarous Marines wife. "stay real still and he'll just swim on by.." Seems like all the weird, strange looking, or just plain ugly fishies are peoples' favorites. I gotta get me a weirdo fish!

LOL. I think I hear my snails scream every time.

"OH GOD NOT BOBBY!!!"

Hahaha....my diamond watchman goby used to do that...both empty and inhabited shells. It's actually very common/normal. They like to "decorate" their holes.

Hahaha....my diamond watchman goby used to do that...both empty and inhabited shells. It's actually very common/normal. They like to "decorate" their holes.
LOL ok I feel better now. He is still pretty weird though. Not as weird as my shrimps however. Every time I put my hand in the tank they jump on for a ride. They dont even pick at me. Just chillin out...

My yellow watchmen is definitely my favourite! he'll pick up anything he can fit his mouth around. Even tries to get the hermit that's too big lol.

Never snails though, just hermits and gravel. I've heard they usually hang out with shrimps in nature (pistol shrimp?) and the shrimps are the ones who clean the home. So maybe he's taking them in there to clean it out?

Back