My master plan, I think?

Keaton

Reefing newb
I think i've got my livestock plan, tell me what you guys think.

1 maroon clown *
1 lemonpeel angel or coral beauty (undecided)
1 bluespotted jawfish
1 Koran angel juvinile
1 Scott's fairy wrasse (cook islands)
3 green chromis
1 electric blue hermit *
2 blue leg hermits *
2 red leg hermits *
2 emerald crabs * * indicates that I already have it
3 turbo snails *
20 nassarius snails *
3 astrea snails *
4 peppermints *
2 fire shrimp
1 Red Fromia starfish *
1 african starfish *
3 brittle stars in my sump *
1 long tenticle nem

I'd like to put a PBT and some leathers in there too but i'll probably wait til my 180g arrives. Any suggestions?

:sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish:

Would you say that will pretty much max my bioload capacities? I'm wrestling with the idea of making my 180g the FOWLR and converting my 75g to strictly reef. I would really love to have a happy PBT or Achillies so i think thats what i'm gonna do. Is a 75g a good size for reef only? I just don't wanna end up wishing i made the 180 into a reef.

Would you say that will pretty much max my bioload capacities? I'm wrestling with the idea of making my 180g the FOWLR and converting my 75g to strictly reef. I would really love to have a happy PBT or Achillies so i think thats what i'm gonna do. Is a 75g a good size for reef only? I just don't wanna end up wishing i made the 180 into a reef.
i would be careful about the archilles tang. they are not a good fish they should stay in the ocean i believe.

Ya I'm aware but i'm working with a friend at my LFS who keeps them with great success so I'm willing to give it a try and worse case I could give it over to him. Thanks for the heads up though.

your probably gonna wish that the 180 is a reef, and when you say PBT do you mean blue or brown

Oh brown, sorry. Actually I have another question. The chromis, I know they're in the damsel family. Are they aggressive like the blues and can i keep more than three?

i dont believe that, if there needs can be meet then they are just like any other fish[/quote

everywhere i have read about them say the are one of the most demanding and hardest fish to keep because of how sensitive they are and how aggressive they can become against there own type also. they are very susceptble to ich. they will die very easily.

i know they school and I could keep more than three but i don't know where my bioload would be with more than three. Ideally I'd like to have like 5-7 chromis, I think it would be cool to have a larger school.

i havent seen any aggression in mine, but i have heard stories of some schools where the dominate leader has kicked out fish and killed them until he was the only chromis left in the tank

Oh wow, I had 4 yellowtails to cycle my tank and the same thing happened. The dominant one picked off the other three very methodically over the course of about a week. It was brutal.

everywhere i have read about them say the are one of the most demanding and hardest fish to keep because of how sensitive they are and how aggressive they can become against there own type also. they are very susceptble to ich. they will die very easily.
all tangs are going to be aggressive towards fish of there own species and even some are aggressive to fish with the same body type so thats nothing new. yes they are a hard species to keep and thats why they are recommended for experts only, but like i said if you can meet there needs you shouldnt have a hard time with them. also they are susceptible to ich but so are regal tangs but you dont see people saying they should be left in the ocean, just keep the stress down and keep ich out of your tank then you shouldnt have a problem with that either.

the chromis should not be a problem. mine are all peaceful. the only problem you will notice is that they ship really poorly so most of them tend to die. the ones that get adjusted and established are great. its just getting them to that point that can be tough. they also are bigtime jumpers so be aware of that when adding them to the tank. found a couple on the floor and just recovered one in the bottom of the filter sock yesterday. not sure how that little champ lived.

all tangs are going to be aggressive towards fish of there own species and even some are aggressive to fish with the same body type so thats nothing new. yes they are a hard species to keep and thats why they are recommended for experts only, but like i said if you can meet there needs you shouldnt have a hard time with them. also they are susceptible to ich but so are regal tangs but you dont see people saying they should be left in the ocean, just keep the stress down and keep ich out of your tank then you shouldnt have a problem with that either.

i do agree with some of the things you say. but what i think about the archilles is just my opinion on how i feel about them.

I have glass tops on my tank but they're short about two inches in the back to allow for hoses, heaters, etc. Will they find a way to get out of that little space?

Use the 180 for the reef.Yeah,it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive.But it'll eventually end up a reef any how,so save yourself the trouble.Besides,tangs seem to be happier in a reef tank and looks a lot more natural.JMO
Blue spot jawfish love to carpet surf.

Back