my new 120

kimoy

CERTIFIED BUM
here's some pictures of my new tank....
P1010009.jpg

my twin megaflows
P1010011.jpg

P1010010.jpg

and here's my tank with a CSS 125 in front while waiting for my new aqua c ev-180
P1010012.jpg

another shot of tank
P1010013.jpg

my new skimmer AQUA C EV_180 will be run by an iwaki 55rlt
P1010047.jpg

after less than 6 hours from the time i first run it
P1010048.jpg

another shot of the skimmer
P1010053.jpg

i painted the back of the tank blue. run 5 differnt kinds of power head inside the main tank, 4 is connected to a tsunami wavemaker and on is on a constant run. under the tank is i think 25 or 30 gal refugium with about 6 inches of sandbed and some small pieces of LR i am keeping there to be used to attached corals for fragging. and a bunch of chaeto. light in the fuge is 2x9 watts pc run 24/7. my return pump is MAG 12 and the skimmer pump is external iwaki 55rlt coupled with aqua c ev-180 skimmer. on the main tank, lighting is 2x150 10k hqi hlaide, 2x96 03 actinics, 2x65 03 actinics, 2x65 10k , 8 moonlights, about 150 Lbs of LR and 100 Lbs of LS. i am on the process of keeping more sps. but now i have mostly softies and a few sps and lps. a paired of true perculas hosting a pink bta., a mimic yellow tang, spotted green mandarin goby, 2 sand shifting star, a feather star, 4 pepermint shrimps, goniopora, elegant, superman sps, green slimer, 2 clams, about 4 fragspawn, zoas, leathers, xenias, shrooms, fox coral, mexican red legs, blue legs, turbo's, nassarius, astreas.
i am planning to get a blue tang, unicorn tang, yellow coris wrasse, black long nose tang, lyretail anthias, blonde naso tang.

any suggestions are welcome.

i need advice on my lighting...i have a 120 reef with 30 gal fuge. my lights are as follows:
fuge = 2x9 watt 6.5k pcs
main tankl = 2x150 watts 10k DE HQI
2x96 watts 03 actinics PC's
2x65 watts 10k pcs
2x65 watts 03 actinics PC's
8 moonglow
i am having problem getting the color out of my corals. i need suggestions...is my lighting too much? it is a corallife fixture. one is 2x150 de hqi plus 2x96 actinics and another fixture is 4x65 watts. so in other words there are 2 light fixture on top of my tank. do i need to take the pc fixture out and leave just the halides? or do i need to get a different bulb combination? if so what do you suggest?

Kimoy:

Great tank!

No you don't have to much lighting. I run way more than that on a 92.

I can make suggestions, but need to know a bit more about your setup before I can really make an accurate suggestion.

What coral isn't colored up like you want it to be?

Did the coral use to have better color and has just faded, or it just doesn't look like pictures you see on the internet?

bkv1997 said:
Kimoy:

Great tank!

No you don't have to much lighting. I run way more than that on a 92.

I can make suggestions, but need to know a bit more about your setup before I can really make an accurate suggestion.

What coral isn't colored up like you want it to be?

Did the coral use to have better color and has just faded, or it just doesn't look like pictures you see on the internet?

it is my sps that turned brown during the day when my halides are on and will turn back to its color when the halides are out. i took the pc fixture out(4x65) and will dee how it will react to a less lighting...and no, they used to color up when they were on my 55 with only the 2x150 halides and 2x96 pc actinics are used. but i decided to used 2 fixture(1 fixture=2x150 10k halides with 2x96 pc actinics and 2nd fixture=2x65 pc 10k with 2x65 pc actinics) when i upgraded to 120.

i was going to take pictures today but the lights are already out when i got home. i'll take some tommorrow and post it here.

I get much better color out of my SPS using 14k bulbs on my halides. Based on what your describing I would try that and see what happens.

Also with SPS I run carbon and phosban 24/7 and heavily skim inorder to help keep the colors. Basically you need a very nutrient poor system for SPS to color up, but this can slow the growth of softies.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

i see...i have a bag of phoslock in my fuge on the input are...no carbon though. and skimming like crazy. my ev-180 is pulling half a cup a day of gunk. it is on the semi wet/dry side of skimmate which i preffer and top off water is 2 gal a day.

my other problem is finding 14k bulb for my 150 halides DE it's corlaife. anybody know where i can get them?

brandon recommended premium aquatics other guys i know here in illinois like to order from there also, plus i been having same problem colors don't show real well with halides being 10,000k so i probally going to go with what brandon use's phoenix 14,000k

okay just tested my water and here's the result:

salinity 1024
alk 7.0
calcium 480
pH 8.0
amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 using APC/25 using salifert

any suggestions/comments

premium is a great place to order from, however since they are 150 watt you may be limitted. I also have a 120 gallon, I think before I bought to new bulbs I would consider buying different lighting. obviously if your budget can afford it. If you buy two new bulbs you will be out at least $150 or more. So if you can afford to spend some more you could just get a new lighting system. the reason I say this is because you said you wanted to move more toward sps. and you really need to get 250 watt halides in a 24 inch deep tank to have success. Im running dual 250 watt hamilton 14Ks and dual 110 watt VHOs and still could use more light to have more success. but I love the colors the lighting combination gives. that may also have a bearing on the sps colors. just my two :twocents: . keep us informed

Back