my new 700+ gallon build!

and i know allllll about lighting and i know if i skimp on the lighting i should only make a FOWLR tank. but i am making a Reef tank and i want my corals. so trush and beleave that i will have good lighting.

I have been looking at LED systems and looking at the idea of DIY LEDs and i am up in the air. I will have the tank ordered and made than mailed to my house. so i have the advantage to resize the tank if i need to so i can use the LEDs I want to use. witch are the Pandora LEDs , TrueLumen or Stunner LED systems. but if i DIY my LED system i will be using 30W 20k white and 30W 455nm with a controler and transformer for the system. but in a price battle it would only cost me 550 - 650 to DIY the system.

I have been looking at LED systems and looking at the idea of DIY LEDs and i am up in the air. I will have the tank ordered and made than mailed to my house. so i have the advantage to resize the tank if i need to so i can use the LEDs I want to use. witch are the Pandora LEDs , TrueLumen or Stunner LED systems. but if i DIY my LED system i will be using 30W 20k white and 30W 455nm with a controler and transformer for the system. but in a price battle it would only cost me 550 - 650 to DIY the system.

I run the ecoxotic panorama pro led modules over my tank. I love them, but my tank is 48x15x15ish. I have 6 12k/actinic modules over my tank and a 48" actinic stunner strip and still run 260w of PC lighting as fill in. It helps clear up the spotlight effect of leds.

I love these lights and they are keeping sps coral great, however, even with my fairly shallow tank, the sps corals are no more than 8" from the surface of the water.

I think I read that your tank is going to be 40" deep? That is pretty deep. The panorama are driven to I think 1.8w ea, so that really isn't a hole lot of penetrating power.

If you arent going to keep corals, or just softies and LPS high up in the tank, you might be fine with them, but yeah, as much as I think these lights are great for the $$$, they might be underpowered for your needs. Even if you end up stacking a bunch of modules together, they still won't penetrate very deep.

The stunner strips offer vitrually no growth potential, but do really help correct the color rendition of your tank.

My LFS runs the radions over their 800g display, but there might be other brands that could penetrate 40" of tank without all the bells and whistles that the radians offers.

Maybe check out the some of the LED pendant options like Orpek DIF 100w pendant. Maybe that would work?

If you check out my build thread, you can see what my tank looks like with this light combination.

FYI, this is going to be an awesome build.

Good Luck.

John

well we are going to size the tank down for one to 36"
I have been doing my homework and I have been looking in to DIY LEDs and i have decided that i am going to build my own LED system.
MY Reasions for doing so.
1) it is cheaper. I can buy all of the drivers and LEDs and all the parts with shipping at only 978.34 total.
2) I can costome the LEDs to my wants and needs.
3) I get to learn how to do it so i can help people when they do it.
ok so you are wondering what LEDs are he going to use and ect?
I will be using CREEL LEDs each one is 3 to 5 watts each. i will be also conecting the LED lighting system to my computer so i will be able to make thunderstorms, clouds drift by, sunrise and sunsets. on a little side note i am looking in to doing the same thing to my wave maker so i can change it up some times. for EVERYTHING! it is 240 LEDs (4 differnt colors), 12 heatsinks, 12 drivers 3 controlers and for the AT mega 2560 and all the wires and the tools. it came out to 896.24. with shiping and handeling it came out to 978.34 total. not too bad. considering to get something that was already made and all i had to do is "plug and play" but it was going to cost 2000+ with out shiping and handeling. so it was easy. so i will make a vid and show everyone how to build the LEDs and everything.
I am buying everything off ebay so i got a good deal on a LOT of things.
I am looking to cut the price on the tank build when i can so i can keep the wife happy but still get the same results with less money.

Thats pretty awesome. Are you a code monkey? LOL J/K. I am pretty good at the mechanical stuff but all this wizardy of computers is just magic. Remember, the key to electronics is to not let the smoke out....haha

Good luck. It will be fun to watch.

John

lol ya i know smoking is bad for computers. but really all it is for this light set up is a programe and a USB cord. andthat is all for the computer.

I LOVE EBAY!
I just found a person on ebay that sells LEDs from his company and he has A TON of LEDs that are not being bought and he is selling 5 - 10 watt LEDs for .75 to 3.00 each! WOO HOO!

ok i am still talking to some people. my friends in the aquarium biz, and some computer teck guys to do some control issues. but everything is looking good. I will be going with 10 watt LEDs using white (cool, warm and nutral) and blue leds (royal blue and blue). I will 160 tatal leds with 4 drivers and 1 controler. all are dimmable.

on another update I am looking for the wood right now for the stand. but there is a little bit of a bump right now. I have been showing my wife everything and than she asked the magic question......"how much is this going to cost?" and lets say i did not get a good responce. so idk what is going to happen next.

Looks like a grat bulid ..... i guess we are still waiting on the wifies final decsion ...

I had i similar problem with my current bulid ... but it has been approved lol

ya but like i said me and my wife are talking about the size and ill give you all an update. but it looks like i may be losing ground on my idea

ya i tell her 10 bucks and she is thinking 10,000. but we talked and we came to a conclusion. I will make a 5 tank system. a 200 to 300 gallon main with 2 55 to 75 gallon tanks one refuge and the other is going to be my seahorse tank and than 2 75 to 100 gallon tanks as sump. but i may also try a sump system i made called the tri tank. but right now it looks like the 2. witch will have bio balls a skimmer for each rated at 300 to 400 each and ect. so it will be 460 gallons or 650 gallons. so i will be intergrating my sea horse tank to the system and make the sea horse and refuge displays as well.

well if you figure you have 8 lbs per gallon mulitiply that by 125 and it comes out to 1000 lbs. but i need to ask a Question. are you makeing a basment or do you have a 2 story house? and if so than you have the ability to reinforce the floor.

It's on the main floor. Under that part of the floor there is a wall but there would only be two joists under the tank (joists run with the tank) and the wall underneath what would be about the middle of the tank.

Back