My New Corals - First SPSs

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
Hello,

I met a local reefer on Tuesday night and traded/bought a few new corals. This is my first try at SPS so we'll see how it goes. 48 hours in and everything appears to be healthy.

Unknown yellow polyp he had extra of:
IMG_2982.jpg

Green star polyps with two mushrooms:
IMG_3003.jpg

Birdsnest:
IMG_2996.jpg

Unknown Acropora:
IMG_2999.jpg

Montipora Digita in actinic lighting - a small piece broke off upon fragging - now I've got two!
IMG_3005.jpg

I also picked up two cleaner shrimp a few weeks ago! These guys are great!
IMG_3016.jpg

That "Montipora" looks a lot like a "Millipora" to me ;)

Great additions! Hope they do well for you! =D

Try to get those SPS high in the tank ;)

Ahh - Millepora, yes you are correct.

I've got them on the bottom right now as the previous owner had them under 4 - 48" T8 lights. They are now under 12 - 36" T5s. How long do you suggest I keep them on the bottom for?

You have a 12 bulb fixture??? :shock::shock::shock:

Yah, birdsnests are one of my favorite corals. They had green birdsnest frags for $18 (they were %50 off), but my tank doesn't even have any water in it yet. :(

It's 6 bulbs across the tank but a total of 12 - 36" bulbs. It's going to be very costly to replace the bulbs soon!

IMHO they only need a day or two then move them up high, its gonna be rougher on them acclimating from the bottom of your six bulbs to the top than it will be to just go from 4 bulb to six bulbs...

If its viable move them up higher and higher in the tank each day untill they are up top. But that wouldnt work very well in my tank b/c theres not a lot of room mid level lol. So its either bottom or top.

Its really a judgement call on the difference between the lights... The ones you gotta worry about most is upgrading to Metal Halides. going from 4 to 6 bulbs deep shouldnt be that much of an issue. (They prolly are even getting less light(PAR) at the bottom now than they were at the top of 4 bulbs, depending on factors like quality of lights and age ect..)

Back