My patience is running out.

I'm new to this like you but I can tell you for sure there is no set way to stock your tank. Take your time do some research on the fish you are thinking about.
www.liveaquaria.com is a great place to learn about all the creatures we can add to our tanks and what their requirements are.

You'll see that (IMO) some of the really cool stuff just has to have a more established tank. But look around at the website listed and see what you like and read, read, read, then ask tons of questions. It's the only way to learn this hobby from what I can see.

Everybody is different and you'll find out everybody has a different way of doing things. What works in your take may not work in mine and vise versa.

Most everybody here knows more about fishys than I do so I’ll give you the one piece of advice I can. Saltwater critters are expensive and if you buy them before your tank is ready they will die and you will have to buy more. I am probably the least patient person on the planet, my tank is 5 months old and I have 4 Chromis, and two peppermint shrimp. I had a clown fish that bought the tank because I was in a hurry to get a pretty fishy.

I did just ad a scooter blenny but have been over feeding my tank to keep him alive. On a side note I have plenty of algae if anybody needs some.

BAnthony,

I highly recommend the mushrooms and frogspawn as well...I just finished my "cycle" about a week or two ago, So I feel your pain, it's no fun to look at a glass box with water in it..On the advice of a fellow reefer, I added a couple of mushrooms to my tank, (I know it doesn't sound like the greatest purchase), but after you get them your mind will change, they're inexpensive, they're incredible to look at in the tank, up close they have a ton of definition, and when you have the blue lights on you'll catch yourself staring at the tank constantly. So, now is a good time to do a little interior decorating, with a frogspawn, zoa's, mushrooms. Don't underestimate how much you'll like these additions.

Especially as a newb, it will give you a great deal of satisfaction, when you see them "open up" in your tank, knowing that they're healthy.

Lastly, just in case you don't know, as your tank continues to mature, after you turn the lights out, take a flashlight and start scanning the rocks and sand, there's all kinds of stuff going on after dark..You'll start to find creatures that you never knew were in the tank..It's become my favorite past time.

Well, I don't want to buck the trend or give bad advice, so I will start by saying that all the advice above is sound. Your LFS seems like they know what they are talking about, and I know that dcantucson and Biff know what they are talking about.

With that caveat, I will mention that in my last three tanks I have successfully introduced a bubble tip anemone within two months of the tank's cycle, and I would do it again. I add anemone's early to avoid their wandering around killing my corals. I have not had a problem with this approach, although I know people caution against it.

With that caveat, I will mention that in my last three tanks I have successfully introduced a bubble tip anemone within two months of the tank's cycle, and I would do it again. I add anemone's early to avoid their wandering around killing my corals. I have not had a problem with this approach, although I know people caution against it.

I think, too, but I think because you've been in this hobby for years, you've got a better advantage to handle a nem in a new tank.. Some newbies here trying to add them within a month of a cycle aren't experienced enough to attempt that type of addition. You've had luck, but then again, it comes with your years of experience, too.

Absolutely Wonton. And I do other dumb things too, like keep a navarchus in a reef. But i would be remiss to engage in risky behaviour and keep any information I learn from the good people here at Living Reefs. :-)

Kids, do not try this at home.

Now if i just had the balls to get a goniopora....

I just reread my post and it doesn't make sense LOL

Anyway, I think even seasoned hobbyists end up in the newb section :) I've seen them!

Anyway, I think even seasoned hobbyists end up in the newb section :) I've seen them!

Hehehe. I post questions in the Newb section all the time!

Navarchus, you should try a goni. Go for a red one -- they are the hardiest variety (so I hear). There are several people on here that have kept gonis for years. Again, it's not a coral I'd ever tell a newb to get, but if you've had a tank for 1+ year, I think your chances of success with a goni would be pretty good.

Thanks Biff. I had a goni back around the turn of the millennium, I watched as he slowly faded away and died...I'm just not sure I'm ready for that kind of pain again. ;-)

Truth is, goniopora is the coral that got me out of fish-only tank and into the reef, but I still don't understand itsrequirements. It is one of those corals on which I plan to someday figure out and write a ground breaking thesis.

Back