My Perfect Tank?

Ironman

Reef enthusiast
I thought it would be neat for everyone to give a description of what there ultimate goal in the hobby is. What do you see yourself having in the future? whether its certain corals, or a certain tank setup. What do you day dream about when your working on your tank?

Ok sounds cool!

I dream of a 300+ gallon in wall. 6ft long, and nice and deep! With a sps top coral structure that looks as if it fades out into the sea when you look into it.

I want at least 4 - 5 tangs, a school of anthias and a pair of Picaso Percs.

Of course the tank will be fully automated and I will be able to cut the lights on and off from 2000 miles away. It will have a closed loop, and maybe a tunze wave box, maybe. The whole bottom of the tank will be covered in zoas and blastos, that will with regular trimmings provide a nice supply of extra cash to maintain the tank. Hey at $40 a polyp, its possible.... :)

Anyway this my dream tank for starters.

Sounds like fun I'll play...There are just so many choices. It would have to be either a 240 or 300 gallon 8 ft tank. Lots of real estate. A mix of fiji rock and some nice branch rock pieces. Three major rock structures with a good bit of sandbed in between. Bright red and green monti's up top, maybe even another sps or 2. Dead center would have to be a frogspawn the size of a basketball. A huge blue carpet anemone on the left with a pair of onyx clowns hosting. Multiple colonies of rare acan's, and micro's. Some nice favia as well. For the sand bed a couple nice crocea clams maybe one blue and one green. And a bright golden dersa or squmosa (sp). My large red and green open brain would have to come along and maybe some fungia plates. Also some of the more rare colonies of zoas, the largest of which would be safe crackers. I would have to agree with david on a school of anthias, and a sailfin tang the size of a dinner plate! And since it is a "dream" tank, a flame angel that would never touch my corals.

The biggest problem with this is that tomorrow I will look at my tank and be so dissapointed!:frustrat:

Alright Bryan you started this, lets see what your daydream is...

Well it changes from day to day, but I want a 200 gallon + half circle tank built in wall. A nice piramid shaped rock structure seen buy all angles. Same basic corals as now but with some additions of acans and blastos. I would love a school of anthias (Sunburst) and some misc tangs. In the room behind the tank will be an equipment room where my 100 gallon sump, 50 gallon refugium would sit. All top of the line electronics. everything would be easy to get to and fairly easily maintained. the tank would have to have several tunze powerheads and 4 oceanlights. Everything would be controlled with a touch screen remote from anywhere in the house, and like david said even from 2000 miles away. thats just a glimpse into my $25,000 setup.:shock:

Apparently brandon, michael, and james dont dream about anything better than what they have. congrats guys youve officially arrived!! Enjoy your stay in dreamland, cause I feel a crash coming soon!

Honestly I'm trying not to dream about anything else as it relates to my tank... I just got done with a major overhaul and my hobby allowance is all gone.

So yep for now my dream is in the corner of my living room... I would like to add a Calcium Reactor.

Things I want on my next tank...... A huge sump, so that I can safely put a more dense population of fish in the display.

Well I JUST WANT A TANK THAT WORKS! So if any one can help please help me.I can't for some reason post theads so if you want just email me [email protected] WOULD BE GREATFUL for some help or a lot of stuff is going up for sale:frustrat: :frustrat:

Viper said:
Well I JUST WANT A TANK THAT WORKS! So if any one can help please help me.I can't for some reason post theads so if you want just email me [email protected] WOULD BE GREATFUL for some help or a lot of stuff is going up for sale:frustrat: :frustrat:

Tell us your woes and lets see if we can't help you out. :helm2:

Not trying to sound spoiled, I just Got lucky-really lucky. I'm the one posted Got Lucky GOING BIGGER. I getting my 300 gal dream tank Sepember 2nd. Its 8' long, 2' wide and 7' tall. It has a wave Master Pro, 4 power heads, 3-400w-20000K Metal Halide plus 6' smart light set up with Lunar lights. L/R combined will equal over 350 lbs and 260 lbs L/S. A Calcium Reactor, Phosband Reactor, Aqua Medic Chiller, Euro-Reef Protein Skimmer, 2 custom sumps with lighting (don't think I'll use sump lighting) Digital test equipment. Cooling fans,Timers, Pumps, Hose and connections, Heaters, Battery backup pump, Supplements, Food, Fish, Corals, Crabs & snails. More & More & More. SOMETIMES DREAMS DO COME TRUE :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Will post picture on 3rd.

sfgiants said:
I getting my 300 gal dream tank Sepember 2nd. Its 8' long, 2' wide and 7' tall.

You might want to go back and double check, but a 96"x24"x84" tank is ~837 gallons...

Little more than 300:mrgreen:

Sorry to change the subject but I didn't know how to do threads.So any way when I changed to reef I have had nothing but trouble.When I upgraded I got a 215 Oceanic had it drilled I built a 40gallon sump for it.I used mirical mud but Icouldn't ever get anything to grow in it and over the year little by little I got more live rock but all it would do is turn brown.I recently got the 72''HQI from cora life which was cool I thought nothing changed.Then back in october I lost everything my tank crash I lost about $300. in fish my favorite to about a 7" power blue that look as good as the one in the marine fish pocket guide:cry: so I basicly started over.I took out my sump and made the center chamber bigger and bought new MM took out the bio balls in the first chamber put live rock and a new pump.I just got about 90ibs of live rock for free so I have about 230ibs in the tank.I have 7 fish right now and 3 live corals but my tank just ALL WAYS LOOKS LIKE:pooh: it's brown ,water is yellow ish no corline algee :frustrat: but since I got new things I do have a lot of chalpru in the sump:D for once.I do add trace, kalwasser,iodine,and combo vital.Any good help would be nice one question I do have is I know I don't have a skimmer so any good sugestions on that because I had one picked out and a lfs told me to pick somthing else?and any other help I so fed up with it I'm pulling my hair out thanks viper p s if you respond please just email me so we don't have to rewen this subject of dream tanks. Thanks.

Do you plan on keeping corals? or just fish? this will play a big part in how good of a skimmer you need.

If you don't have alot of corals then I recommend you stop putting all those supplements in your tank. Your probably making things worse and not realizing it.

My advice would be:

1) Test your Salinity,PH, ALK, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Calc, and Phosphates and post the results here for us to help.
2) Keep up on your 10% waterchanges every two weeks at a minimum until you get a skimmer. Answer the questions above about keeping corals and we can recommend one for you.
3) Stop dosing supplements if you don't need them, instead focus on water changes.

Give us some more feed back up on your system and its live contents and we will be able to make some suggestions.

Brandon

salinity-1.024 akl 350 ammonia 0 [nitrate 40 this is a dip test] calc and phos I don't have tests wright now I have yellow tang, sail fin tang ,flame angle, 2 percula clowns ,3 striped damsil ,orange spot golby, and 2 aneomies, 1 mushroom ,star bust coral ,and frog spawn

Viper:

With your load of corals I would instantly stop dosing all those supplements Salt mixes are many times above NSW already and you have a very light Coral load for a tank your size.

I would also look for a skimmer. The best you can afford is my advice when it comes to a skimmer. Depending on how much you like to tinker with things... If you want to just put it in and and forget about it go with an ASM or Euroreef... if you dont mind tinkering with things a bit more I believe skimmers like ETSS and MRC are a bit better, but thats just my opinion.

I know it sounds like a lot, but get some real test kits and do a 10% waterchange every two weeks and just do all the tests before doing the WC at a minimum.

Let us know what your budget is for a skimmer and how much space if any that you have in your sump that you could dedicate to it and I could help you pick out a specific model.

Brandon

more than likely I have to have a skimmer that sits on the out side not a lot of room left in the sump the asm need a lot of room. It realy doesn't matter on the price with in reason so if I have to save a little longer so be it

The aqua remora pro hang on the back skimmer is probably the best out of sump skimmer, however I feel a HoB skimmer is going to be underated for a tank of your size.

I would really try hard to think of a way to add something like an ASM G3 or G4.

In my opinion whatever you have in your sump is less important than a good skimmer. Everything else should be second to the skimmer in my opinion.

the g3 & g4 are to big my sump is not wide enough. what about the aqua c 240or the turbo flotor shorty 5000 by aqua medic and doing a water changes every 2 weeks what will that do?

Last edited:
Bkv1997 thanks for some help but I was wondering if any of the other member have used the Aqua c or the Aqua Medic turbo flotor 5000 shorty to see if they liked them or what there useing I was hoping other would see this because I need a lot of help.By the way your corner tank looks:cool: because before I buy one I want to be sure on the one I buy so I don't have to do it again because all most every skimmer ad makes it sound great.Thanks Viper

no problem... I know Ironman had a aqua C but not sure exactly what model... He just replaced it for a Euroreef model though... When I talk to him this afternoon i'll ask him to go make sure he posts his thoughts for you.

Back