My pH drops from 8.4 to 7.8

cjavierpr

Reefing newb
Hy reefers, Im new in the salt water world and for the first time my pH drops dramatically. Usually it was at 8.4 but I take a reading today since I will use a medicine that could drops the pH. For my surprise the pH was at 7.8. What is the best and safer way to raise and maintain the pH around 8.4?

regards,
Carlos J

There are many products out there that will raise the pH.I keep Seachem reef buffer on hand for those situations.It raises pH and akalinity,The good thing about the product is it won't overshoot the pH no matter how much you use but it will keep raising akalinity.They have another product that raises pH without affecting akalinity.

Cjavierpr,I will need some more info to help out more.
You did the pH test before you medicated the tank?
What kind of medication is this?
What is your calcium and akalinity at?Both plays a role in maintaining pH
Did you do this test always at the same time of day?Lights on or lights off can get different readings.

Thanks reeffreak for your response:

1. The pH test was before and after the medication.
2. The medication is Chem- Marin
3. I just finish the calcium test and is off the charts. It has to be more than 500 since the test chart would not go beyond that.
4. In terms of alkalinity, I had never tested before.
5. Today test was at night and the lights were on.

I hope this info helps. I only have a month of experience so Im still learning.

regards,

CarlosJ

I think in another thread that you are using Chem-Marin for treating pop-eye.Is it some kind of parasitic treatment or something?

I believe it says you can use in the main tank but I wouldn't risk.I would of done this in a QT tank.I do know the product does effect the pH.There's a product called Proper ''pH 8.2'' that is more commonly available to raise the pH back up.

I would keep doing water changes until you get the calcium down.High calcium can effect akalinity which can drop pH.Thats why you should test all three.

Reefs got you pretty well covered.
You really shouldnt use any kind of medication in your main tank unless its fish only.I would even trust the so called reef safe meds in my reef.

if you are testing at night, there will likely be a change in PH than at the start of the day. Make sure you are testing at the same time of day. I like to get a second opinion when I get a funny reading. take a water sample to the LFS and have them test it for the desired levels. Good luck. BTW, the best med I have found for pop-eye is Melafix and I have used it in my DT with no real problems.

-Doc

I'm using SeaChem Reef Buffer to help with my pH too. It will bump your pH to about 8.4 if you use enough. Then it just raises the alkalinity. No risk of overdosing pH with Reef Buffer.

My tank is 30g. I do 5g water change per week. I'm dosing my pH and ALK about twice a week to keep it within acceptable limits.

ISTEAD OF STARTING A NEW THREAD I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE BUFFER PRODUCTS. Dang cat hit the lock key. Does it automatically set your PH or does your PH need to be right before you use it? My kitty loves the keyboard.

It doesn't necessarily sets the pH.You add the recommended amount until you reach a pH 8.3.Once the pH is met but your akalinity is still low,then you can keep adding without fear of overshooting the pH.No matter how much you use it won't go past 8.3but akalinity will though.

I use Seachem ''buffer 8.3''to raise pH and akalinity.
Seachem ''reef builder'' to only raise akalinity only.

Seachem makes two different buffers. Actually buffer is improperly used in this context. Buffers regulate your susecpttibility of pH change not the pH change. One product has a combination of many buffers, the other does not. One (Reef Buffer) should be used to maintain pH when your pH is low but your alkalinity is acceptable (it is mainly sodium bicarbonate). Acually a lot of aquarium pros use 50/50 sodium bicarb and Reef Buffer for adjustment of pH upward. Carbonated water (CO2) to adjust downward. The other is a true buffer (Marine Buffer) and is chiefly meant to raise your Alkalinity without affecting your pH ( it contains many more compounds than the Reef Buffer). The job of a buffer is to neutralize chemicals and gasses that would lower the pH it is not the job of a buffer to raise the pH of water. I would definitely do a couple substantial water changes and put some activated charcoal to use to remove the medicine from your water and use a treatment tank if you must treat. To get more specific I would have to explain hydroxides and acids. There should be a posting under artivles on this, if not and if it is wanted/needed I will post something.

Last edited:
Back