my sump build

fishbait

I found Nemo
I finally recieved my mag 9.5 yesterday! still waiting on overflow, hopefully it will be here by the middle of next week. here are some pics of my progress so far ( i know how every loves pics, including myself) i decided that i wanted a dual return pipe. so i bought this nifty little y (well, sort-of a y) it only came in 1 1/2 so i had to bushing it down to 3/4 and plug the un-needed outlet. i allready had it assembled before i decided to take pics. but, here it is hanging on the front of the tank so you can see what it looks like.

005.JPG

004_356201.JPG

here are a few pics of everything installed in the plastic tote. i decided to give everything a test run. so i stuck some 3/4 pipe in the tank and started a siphon. it was quite hard to balance the flow out. so i just ran it a few hours and turned it off. i don't want to take the chance of flooding my house if the power flickers during the night like it allways does around here. i have to say that the flow is amazing. there were no sign of the normal film on top of the water like there normally was. i can't wait until the overflow gets here so i can leave it up and running for good.

008_583709.JPG

009_516723.JPG

010_637115.JPG

i decided to use street 90's for the outlets inside the tank. they have male pipe thread fittings on one end that allow me point the flow any direction that i want.
006_924041.JPG

they are a slip fit on the other end. so there are not ugly threads showing inside the tank, just a nice smooth pipe.

007_362915.JPG

here are a few pics with them painted black, and everything installed and running. there were still some micro bubbles floating around so i didn't get a perfectly clear shot.
here is a shot of the left side.
011.JPG

here is the right side.

012_392547.JPG

i went to the hardware store one day and picked up all the pvc fittings that i needed. started building the "Y" went back to the hardware store to get more fittings because i screwed up. then finished it up and painted it. my pump didn't come in on fed-ex until about 5 yesterday evening. so i waited until today and installed everything.

Looks good Fish.I take it you didnt have any leaks?

nope:wink: just a slurping sound every 20 seconds from the homade overflow (that the painted blue 3/4" pipe coming into the left side of the sump) once my overflow box arrives everything should be good to go.

finally got my overflow in monday. it's now installed and running. here are a few pics of it.

013_633819.JPG

014_572448.JPG

it came with this nifty little powerhead to keep the bubbles pulled out.

015_429901.JPG

Looks good Fish.
I'm thinking like Reef,you'll like that lil pump.It aint fun starting a syphon with a piece of airline tubing,Salt water tastes like:pooh:

oh...i have allready experienced that lovely taste. when i had my home made overflow running, i started the siphon by mouth several times. let's just say i'm not going to start stealing gas anytime soon. and too think of all the fish that has took a leak in the water....yucK!

Looks good Fish.
I'm thinking like Reef,you'll like that lil pump.It aint fun starting a syphon with a piece of airline tubing,Salt water tastes like:pooh:

no pump in my overflow. i have had to restart syphon a ton of times. im sadly a freakin pro at it now and never even come close to getting water in my mouth, and its done in seconds. with that being said..... who wants some free gas??? :shock:

i have had to restart syphon a ton of times. im sadly a freakin pro at it now and never even come close to getting water in my mouth, and its done in seconds. with that being said..... who wants some free gas??? :shock:

Hmm maybe that's why I can smell your breath from here, Redline!! ;)

Back