Reefing newb
I am new to reef keeping,just started about a month ago. I have-

20 gallon tank
20# live sand
24# live rock
1 chromis
1 sally light foot crab
1 pumping xenia ( new got yesterday)
73 watt corallife pc light (new got yesterday)
and a berlin proten skimmer 60 gallon

all tests are great
0 on all the major
430 on cal.
alk normal range
salt-1.024
temp.-80 F

I have been trying to gather as much info on xenia as possable. Any info would be app. :D

Caution here. you seem to be stocking very quickly. on the Xenia which one are you interested in. Ill post some info if you can tell me which one i.e. xenia sp., Xenia Umbellata.

I would add an iodine and Ph test to your supply and dose some iodine and buffer as needed. I am using lugols solution iodine(very potant stuff) and Marine Buffer 8.3 (to keep the Ph at 8.3)Also if they are in to high of a flow area they seem to sway more a not pulse.If they healthy they usually grow and multiply rapidly. Xenia are notoriously sensitive to low pH. They stop pulsing at 8.3 and really show suffrage under 8.0.So try to keep the Ph at 8.3

Last edited:
I keep a watch on my ph 8.3. I bought some Iodine but I don't want to overdose the tank. I do a 20% water change 1x a week. I run my protein skimmer 24/7. I have not been able to find a test for iodine. I don't want to overdose the tank, but I want to supply the needs. It is a 2 month old tank.
The xenia is a sp I am trying to get info on.

Last edited:
Xenia

Xenia spp. - Waving hand corals - pulse corals, pulsing Xenia.

Size- heights 4"/ polyps reach diameters of about 0.5inch.

Range- Indo Pacific

Aquarium Size- Nano tanks 1 gal or more.

Lighting- Do best under moderate to bright lighting.

Foods and feeding- Get most of their nutrition from their
zooxanthellae but do well with microphytoplankton supplements.

Aquarium Suitability/Compatibility: Easy to grow and keep.

Cpative care- Xenia species are specialized for different microhabitats, but normal reef conditions with temperatures in the 81 to 84 F (27 to 29 C) range, with salinities of 35 to 36ppt will be a good starting point. They like moderate, continuous current. They do not tolerate rapid changes in pH and appear particularly sensitive to a high pH, so care should be taken during the addition of Kalkwasser to prevent the pH from rising too quickly. Xenia are characterized by having large polyps arising off and central stalk or core. The distinctive pulsing actions of the ployps will mesmerize viewers, but theis behavior is not yet fully understood and not all colonies can be counted upon to pulse.

ORDER: ALCYONACEA - FAMILY: XENIDAE - SOFT CORAL

-XENIA SP. - ENCRUSTING CORAL

-RED SEA, TROPICAL INDO PACIFIC

-SEX NONE

-ENCRUSTING CORALS GROW VERY WELL IN AQUARIA. AN INDIRECT MODERATE CURRENT IS BEST. FILAMENTOUS ALGAE MUST BE AVOIDED. EXCESSIVE NITRATE CONCENTRATIONS LEAD TO A DECREASE IN THE PUMPING ACTIVITY OF THE POLYPS.

-SUNLIGHT ZONE. PLACE IN A BRIGHTLY LIT AREA. METAL HALIDE AND ACTINIC LIGHTS ARE REQURIED.

-THE GREAT PART OF ITS NUTRITIONAL REQURIEMENT IS SUPPLIED BY ITS SYMBIOTIC PARTNERS THE ZOOXANTHELIAE. IT IS NOT AN ACTIVE PLANKTIVORE.

-THE LENGTH OF THE POLYPS OF XENIAL SP. IS AWE INSPIRING. UNDERSTANDABLY, THE POLYPS CANNOT BE COMPLETELY RETRACTED. THE PUMPING MOTIONS OF THE POLYPS ARE FOR RESPIRATION, NOT TO CAPTURE PLANKTON.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Last edited:
They serve different purposes. so the refuge will assist your system and you can reduce nitrates, propagate natural food. etc. a sump is an add on to give you more room to place heaters, protien skimmers, and needs a return pump and overflow . hope this helps.

Check out fishmans threads. I cant remember but I think fishman did a sump with a 10 or 20 gal tank. maybe someone will weigh in here if they remember.

Back