My White Anemone

You can't change out the bulbs -- if the light fixture runs a certain watt T5 bulb, you are stuck with it.

At 2 watts per gallon, you have barely enough light even to keep the most low light corals. In fact, anemones need anywhere from 6 to 10 watts per gallon.

You are better off buying new lights if you want to keep corals and anemones. If you buy T5s, go for a light that has individual reflectors -- as the individual reflectors can increase the output from the light by up to 300%.

You can't change out the bulbs -- if the light fixture runs a certain watt T5 bulb, you are stuck with it.

At 2 watts per gallon, you have barely enough light even to keep the most low light corals. In fact, anemones need anywhere from 6 to 10 watts per gallon.

You are better off buying new lights if you want to keep corals and anemones. If you buy T5s, go for a light that has individual reflectors -- as the individual reflectors can increase the output from the light by up to 300%.

You can tell not enough thought went into buying my equipment before I knew what I wanted to stock, it started as FOWLR

I would return the anem while you still can until you get proper lights. If it dies, everything else in the tank will go with it...not worth the risk.

Anemones are poisonous -- that's how they sting and eat their prey. When they die, they release all those stinging cells and toxins in the water which can kill everything else in the tank. They are pretty dangerous animals to keep because they often wipe out the entire tank with them when they die.

Anemones are poisonous -- that's how they sting and eat their prey. When they die, they release all those stinging cells and toxins in the water which can kill everything else in the tank. They are pretty dangerous animals to keep because they often wipe out the entire tank with them when they die.
I am now so worried, the white anemone seems so healthy I don't know how to deal with this problem, how will I know if it's dying and will I have time to remove it, I spoke to the seller today at Manor marine which are a large marine stockist and he assured me he had purchased the white anemone's specially, I discussed that we thought it was suffering from lack of zooxanthellae and he definitely dissagreed and he had hundreds of anemone's in stock, my 2 clowns now live in the anemone and when I put my hand in to place a lettuce leaf for the yellow tang the clown attacks me, odd or what?
Thanks for answering my quotes don't know whatI would do without your help, how long have you interested in reef aquaria and what have you got set up?
Allen, it's 1:05 am here I should go to bed lol

I am now so worried, the white anemone seems so healthy I don't know how to deal with this problem, how will I know if it's dying and will I have time to remove it, I spoke to the seller today at Manor marine which are a large marine stockist and he assured me he had purchased the white anemone's specially, I discussed that we thought it was suffering from lack of zooxanthellae and he definitely dissagreed and he had hundreds of anemone's in stock, my 2 clowns now live in the anemone and when I put my hand in to place a lettuce leaf for the yellow tang the clown attacks me, odd or what?
Thanks for answering my quotes don't know whatI would do without your help, how long have you interested in reef aquaria and what have you got set up?
Allen, it's 1:05 am here I should go to bed lol

Could my white anemone be a Macrodactyla Doreensis?

Hi Sarah, got up again to see if you'd answered me.

Allen

It could be.But even those are not white unless their bleached.
A white long tentacle anemone that is healthy will have colored tentacle tips

You should consider a MH/T5 combination light.

I think my tank allowing for live rock displacement only holds 40gallon (89cm x 43cm x 46cm) so 40 x 4w 160 divide by the 39w lamps in mine = 4.1 lamps, and the white anemone seems very healthy, what do you think?

Allen

You don't count displacement of rock when calculating how much light you need... Now matter how you try to manipulate the numbers, you just don't have enough light for an anemone.

It doesn't really matter that the clowns are attached to it. Clowns will get attached to a powerhead, or a certain rock, or a suction cup on the glass. They don't need an anemone to survive and will be perfectly happy and healthy without an anemone. On the other hand, anemones can kill everything in the tank when they die, and they will sometimes even eat their own clowns. I've seen it happen with my own eyes! And about the clowns attacking you, all clowns will do that. That's in their nature. My big female tomato clown can draw blood, she's so mean. That has nothing to do with the anemone. They are just territorial fish and will defend their territory, no matter what it is.

I don't know what else to tell you. Everyone here has given you all the information they have. You've received other information from people at fish stores. It's up to you to make a decision based on the information you've been given. I have told you what I would do if I had an anemone that looked like that, but you need to make decisions about your tank for yourself based on the advice you've been given by multiple sources.

Last edited:
You don't count displacement of rock when calculating how much light you need... Now matter how you try to manipulate the numbers, you just don't have enough light for an anemone.

It doesn't really matter that the clowns are attached to it. Clowns will get attached to a powerhead, or a certain rock, or a suction cup on the glass. They don't need an anemone to survive and will be perfectly happy and healthy without an anemone. On the other hand, anemones can kill everything in the tank when they die, and they will sometimes even eat their own clowns. I've seen it happen with my own eyes! And about the clowns attacking you, all clowns will do that. That's in their nature. My big female tomato clown can draw blood, she's so mean. That has nothing to do with the anemone. They are just territorial fish and will defend their territory, no matter what it is.

I don't know what else to tell you. Everyone here has given you all the information they have. You've received other information from people at fish stores. It's up to you to make a decision based on the information you've been given. I have told you what I would do if I had an anemone that looked like that, but you need to make decisions about your tank for yourself based on the advice you've been given by multiple sources.
Thanks again Sarah, what is it that feels so sharp when the clowns attack, is it the fin on their back?

Faced with what lighting I have got at the moment (2 white 39w and 2 blue 39w) can you suggest a lighting programme for me please, at the moment blue comes on at 08:00, followed by white at 09:00, both stay on untill 12:00 when blue goes off, white stays on, blue comes back on at18:00, white goes off at 21:00, blue goes off at 22:00,
heeeelllllpppp:frustrat:

Allen

Keeping your lights on between 8 and 12 hours a day is fine. However, no matter how long you keep those lights on, they just aren't going to be strong enough for most photosynthetic animals.

Back