Mysid Eating Fish

reefnoob

Reefing newb
On Live Aquaria, they sell live mysid. Anyone know what kind of fish will eat these? Will mandarin fish eat them? It says that they are 5-10 millimeters big, which I think is about the same size as amphipods. Also does anyone know how fast they can reproduce? If a lot of different fish eat it, and they are nutritious, and can multiply quickly in a refugium I might get them in addition to copepods and maybe amphipods. Any input about any of the mentioned or more would be appreciated.

That is not a good live food source in a fuge because the adults will eat the babies, so they dont reproduce in our tanks very well. Id stick with your normal pods

Should I use copepods or amphipods? On LA they sell 15 amphipods for $10. I think this is expensive. Am I correct in assuming this? Are normal copepods more worth it?

holy cow, i wouldnt spend that kind of money on any sort of pod. Check your local LFS, they should sell trigger pods (by Reef Nutrition) and you can buy a bottle of thousands for $20 or so.

Do you mean tigger pods? I think I read somewhere that they don't do well in warmer water, and that they would die off. Is this true in your experience?

I have never supplimented my tank with pods. I have tons crawling around. They came in on LR and cheato. And 10 dollars for 15 pods!!!!!!! :shock:

$9.99 for 15 pods?
For that price I could buy several pounds of shrimp and scallops from the fish market and chop up some nice fresh seafood for my fish and corals that will last for weeks.

If you've got live rock,you've got both copepods and amphipods.
If you really want them to flourish and thrive. Dose the tank with phytoplankton such as DT's or any of the Brightwells phytoplanktons.

Back