Nasty domino impossible to catch any HM trap ideas

Reefer head

Reefing newb
The title speaks for itself. I have a domino that bites me every chance he gets and it's really getting on my nerves. It's gotten to the point where I can't make any adjustments unless I take out the net to make it hide. I tried putting my hand behind the net but there not stupid and there really fast. I've been trying off and on for a couple weeks with no prevail. any input is appreciated.

Ah, the joys of damsel fish.

You can make a fish trap by cutting off the lid of a soda bottle, turn it inside out and then put some bait inside. Might take a few days for him to get hungry and go inside.

Cut the top off of the bottle, turn it around and slip it into the bottle. Place the food inside the bottle and the fish will swim in and find it hard to get out. So by the time the fish can figure it out you'll already have him out of the tank.

Look at a coke bottle. Cut where the straight sides start curving in to make the top of the bottle (not the bottle cap, but the part you drink out of). Cut around the bottle so you are separating the top section of the bottle from the body. Invert the top so that the part you drink out of is facing down into the body of the bottle (like a funnel). Poke a couple holes around the sides and run some zip strips theough them to hold the funnel in place. Place bait inside, put bottle in tank, and voila! Home made fish trap!

The only way I've ever gotten a damsel out of a tank is by removing (nearly) all the rock. Hope you have better luck.

That episode of MrSaltwaterTank had me rolling laughing when he finally caught that little guy! Had to watch again for the lolz.
Good luck with the domino damsel! :x:

I too had a black domino and the way I got it out of the tank was seperate the rock where I could and place left over glass panels from tank tops in between and wear him down in between those. Worked for me! That stupid fish ruled my 75 gal. tank!

Last edited:
OMG LOL He did the same thing I did when I caught my kole tang!! LOL I was running around the basement yelling "Yes! Sucka!!" and bouncing up and down :D

Back