need budget reef lighting for 37 gal cube tank

hart.thomas

Reefing newb
this is probably a better place to post this. i finally officially have my new tank its a 37 gallon 20x18x25 tank. i want to have alot fo rock and coral and the livestock i have now with a few extras. which is 2 clown fish,coral beauty, condy anemone, and coral banded shrimp.

what would be a good budget light? i just bought the marineland reef capable led 18"-24". would this be good enough? if not what would work best? i know 20 inches wide is not the norm so i dont know if that limits my options. i want to get one of those lights that mounts on the back and hangs over almost like a desklamp as long as its not to much.

ah sry didnt see the dimensions, i dont have experience with metal halides hopefuly someone will chime in :D good luck

ah sry didnt see the dimensions, i dont have experience with metal halides hopefuly someone will chime in :D good luck

1x Odyssea 150W DE HQI Bulb 15000K
2x Odyssea 14W T5 High Output Bulb Actinic Blue
2x Dual Bluemoon LED
Fixture Size: 18 x 11 x 3.25
Extendable up to 24 inch
Support:
  • 1x 150W Double Ended HQI
  • 2x 14W T5 High Output
  • 2x Dual Bluemoon LED
i thought it was interesting that is has t5s, leds, and metal halide. i really hope someone can tell me if this is worth it but thanks for the input

1x Odyssea 150W DE HQI Bulb 15000K
2x Odyssea 14W T5 High Output Bulb Actinic Blue
2x Dual Bluemoon LED
Fixture Size: 18 x 11 x 3.25
Extendable up to 24 inch

Support:
  • 1x 150W Double Ended HQI
  • 2x 14W T5 High Output
  • 2x Dual Bluemoon LED
i thought it was interesting that is has t5s, leds, and metal halide. i really hope someone can tell me if this is worth it but thanks for the input

sure can, and I think the marineland lights would work for the tank

also to say thanks for the input but if this is cheaper im a big fan specially if it works just as well if not better

Last edited:
Personally I really like the marineland leds. I've had them on my 29g for a year now and I've been able to keep Anemones, sps, lps, zoas, and of course soft corals. The blue moonlights are very bright, love them. And they produce no heat! Very slim also. I would go for them. Plus you don't have to replace the bulbs. Replacing bulbs in a t5 fixture can get very expensive over time.

Personally I really like the marineland leds. I've had them on my 29g for a year now and I've been able to keep Anemones, sps, lps, zoas, and of course soft corals. The blue moonlights are very bright, love them. And they produce no heat! Very slim also. I would go for them. Plus you don't have to replace the bulbs. Replacing bulbs in a t5 fixture can get very expensive over time.

the only thing that worries me is it seems to only aim the light straight down and the tank is 20" long and 18"wide and 25"tall so will it reach that deep and would i need to to cover everything?

it just seems so hard to believe that this light will work with a deeper taller tank. im going to keep it for now but i really would love to hear from someone who has used the odyssea

it just seems so hard to believe that this light will work with a deeper taller tank. im going to keep it for now but i really would love to hear from someone who has used the odyssea

you could always invest in a PAR meter and check for yourself if its enough light, maybe your LFS will have one they can lend?

Back