Need some help getting my overflow started!!

BL1

Ok, I've attached a pic that should give a pretty good visual of how I've thought of my over flow. I've run all the piping to my sump (it's the green in the pic) my only problem is I can't seem to get it to flow into my sump can anyone help me? Is there a flaw in my idea?

The flow from my tank is the red arrows, pipes to the sump are in green and the baffles on the back of my tank are in black. Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 816
My overflow has an air pipe that allows air to enter my drain pipe to my sump. If I plug the hole the drain pipe stops working.

Mine isn't a drain though, the pipe comes up over the sides. The way I was thinking when I planned it was that it would work as a siphon and pull the water out but, I can't get it to actually start siphoning

I think you actually need to start the syphon manually. Also if your pipes are to low in the tank during power outage it might overflow your sump.

Yea, I tried sucking on the end of the pipe to get the flow started but all I'm getting is a little trickle to come out. That's why I needed some advise .... I'm not too worried about overflowing the sump, I've got about 2.5 in. of room for overflow.

Ok, if you have an HOB overflow. You need to insert a small tube (siphon tube) into the "U" bend that goes over the edge, make sure the end of the hose is at the top of the bend. Then simply start a siphon, you'll notice the bend getting full and starting the drain to your sump, flip your return on and make sure the return pump doesn't start sucking air. Also, don't forget to remove that small siphon hose from the "U" bend once the siphon starts. good luck! I was nervous as hell the first time I did it. Once it's over with you'll be set.

Also, RIJohn stated that if your return nozzles are too low in the tank they'll overflow your sump. That's correct. You can take a small drill bit and drill a hole at the water line (the water line with your sump running), that will create an air siphon. So when your return pump shuts off your line will pull air, stopping the siphon of water

Last edited:
Not sure either of those will work, the pipe coming from the tank is about 4 ft long, so no running a siphon tube to the water level. Also, the area it's pulling water from is fairly tight, maybe only twice as wide as the pipe so I won't be able to fit a powerhead under it ... I'm gonna try again now and if it doesn't work then it'll have to wait till tomorrow

I have an idea how to get it going. You got a vacumn? If so hook it up to on end and once you get the water over the edge of the tank gravity should do the job.

it's not an actual overflow system per se ... I've attached a pic so hopefully you can see better. But, it's actually a part of the tank, its an AIO tank.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 265
It s JBJ? Bio? Red Sea?

If its a red sea they offer a kit to add a sump? If its the others I have no clue how you would even go about putting a sump on the system.

no, it's a JBJ, I thought this would be the easiest way, it's turning into a PITA :frustrat::frustrat:

Yea, if I can't figure it out before the weekend, I guess that'll end up being my project for the weekend

that is a really good idea, there were two pumps down there originally to send the water back into the tank ... I'm gonna try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Back