Need To Vent!!!!!!!!

order yourself a salifert test kit. by far the best kits in the hobby IMO. not cheap but very accurate. BTW i love my 2LF phosban reactor. i don't run phosban in it though. i bought mine to actively run carbon on my tank. works like a charm.

i'm thinking of getting a tlf phosban reactor 150 but run seachem sea gel in it, any advice on that, its a phosphate remover and carbon mixed together, i too suffer phospate problem and currently using bags of phosban in hang on filter to lower them.

just be sure to get the flow right. If you have too much flow going through phosban it will turn to dust. not sure about the sea gel though I don't have any experience with that product.

my advice is not to mix your carbon and phosphate media... It won't hurt anything, but the carbon typically last alot longer phosphate media, plus depending on what your keeping in your system carbon might not be needed 24/7.

Just somethign to think about.

I dont mix them, but I do run both, however, on the carbon lasting longer I remove it every week, when I do run it. By the way here is a pic of the algae. It's only around when the lights are off and comes back when the light are on for about 2 hours. Any ideas what kind it is.

mytank010.jpg

I thought it was cyno but the chemiclean didnt faze it, it killed the red slime though. No its not a blue green, its brown and green. Very ugly stuff spreads like a mat.

cyano can come in lotsa different colors. We have an issue with it in a couple of tanks at work. It's green in the tanks with copper and red in the tanks w/out copper. What we did to correct the problem was added those hydor deflectors to the ends of the powerheads in those tanks and it cleared right up. might want to try one of those if you can find one. they come with several different adaptors so i'm sure one would fit your powerheads. also it will provide some good surface adjitation. don't know if the "oil slick" on the surface is an issue or not but this little device will def increase gas exchange on sumpless tanks.

Another way to put it is it distributes chaotic currents in the tank moving water is areas that the linear flow does not get to. keep us posted.

What is a hydro defletor? If its the curved thing on the end, I'm using it on one ph. No I dont have a prob with oil I put the prizim deluxe on and it has a overflow like attachment that takes care of that. If its not the curved thing, were can I buy one at?

Same o same !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Bad water I thank my Phos is coming from the store I buy my water. I notice that one of my container was dirty inside. I took for granted that they were sold to be new, [Trust No One] I will test the water from the store. b4 I buy. Thanks:frustrat:

There is always going to be a minimum amount of algea growth like that on your sand bed to some extent, depending on light from windows, etc.

Do you have any fish that naturally nip at algeas? Blenny, Tang, snails, etc?

Some people also don't recommend vacuuming your substrate, but I personally do it once a month and think the pros outweigh the cons.

Brandon

Thats only min because I put the strip light back on and have just did a water change, and when I do a water chang I scrape it okk the glass and vacumm the top layer of the sand, yes I have a few snails and hermits, but niether messes with the sand bed. The algae also covers the rock and kills all the coralline.

Here is a pic as soon as I got up, Wala its like magic. See i told you it goes away at night and come back in the morning.

125006.jpg

125005.jpg

man this stuff is anoying, I wish it looked like this all the time.

I tried macro once but it died,however, before it died it did clear the entire tank. I want some but affraid it will just die.

Back