Neon trumpet, candy, bullseye.

amonyia

Reefing newb
OK,I have only had this coral for about 3 days now.It hasnt opened yet but the funny thing about it is that, I dont know what to expect, how much they open, and I really dont have much experince with these type of corals.I bought it for 15 dollars from a guy here in metroplex taking his tank down.Maybe someone could give me some pointers on keeping the coral happy.
Quick Stats
Care Level: Easy
Light: Moderate
Water Flow: Medium
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Color Form: Brown, Fluorescent Green, Tan
Temperament: Peaceful
Ideal Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Faviidae

Picture009.jpg

The heads should look slightly swollen with water, but they won't get huge.

The biggest any single head gets on mine is about the size of a nickle maybe a quarter or a bit bigger if it is about to split.

The colonies will grow dense if placed in higher(not high) water flow areas or will usually be branched out like the picture above if water flow is low.

If they are doing well you can usually get them to eat mysis shrimp if you want to spot feed them, but it isn't needed. Also get a flash light out after hours and see if you can see if its feeder tenticles are out.

the candy cane coral!! i've got one, it's beautiful!! i must say though, i added mine to my tank when my tank was still young. it looked rough, horrible and was on the verge of death!! after tank became better, i moved it to the center of my 80gallon w/ 4 vho's. i brought it back from the dead. i started feeding mine every nite the prime reef stuff. it's frozen, comes in cubes. i bought some long tongs and pinched an itty bitty piece, and diligently fed them until they recovered. i feed them now about 3 times a week. i was down to about 6 canes, now i have over 15 in about 3 months time. they open right after i shut the lights off, i get a flashlight and put the stuff in. you have to babysit it though if you have fish, the fish will try and snag it from the coral. it's a long process, but the canes were small like yours, now they're splitting and the size of quarters if not bigger. i've got a red one too.

Yea,I have been trying to stay awake long enough to see the tenticals(keep fallin asleep on coach), I will take some no doze tonight to see whats happening.I normally work 12 hour shifts so most of the time I pass out when I see the coach lol:passedout

Back