new 20 gal reef

littleyea1

Reefing newb
ok so I got caught up in buying another tank because I'm addicted.. I made this beatuiful stand only wanted a 20 gallon because of space... wanted to know what everyone thought in their own way was the best setup as in products for skimming light and flow... I found 250 wat 14000k metal hylide on the internet for 150 new.. was thinking of buying a skimmer but don't knwo what type... was wondering if i should bother with a sand bed... or if i should just leave it a bare bottom... suggestions suggestions? should i hook up an overflow with a 10 gal refugium underneath... i have all the time in the world and well a prettyd ecent bank role so i can manage with higher price suggestions.. also what should I do to cycle it.. and I want to start off right this time with corraline algea growth so if your a scientist I would like to know what I should be doing right off the bat... thnak you very much everyone if you answer to this...

What size tank are you thinking of putting the 250w MH over?

As for a sand bed, do you plan on having burrowing animals (nassarius snails, gobies, cucumbers, etc)? If no, then you don't really need a sandbed (although I think sand looks a lot better than bare bottom). If you do go with a sandbed, stick with a shallow one, like an inch or two.

Back