new 60 gallon tank.... help with stocking it

Ghost2Kill

Reefing newb
Just setup 60 gallon marineland tank... specs 2 200 marineland bio filters rated to 100 gallons. Aqueon 200 heater... used instant ocean salt... need ideas on skimmer.... put back to topic... what fish do u recommend for a tank this size? Really really want a Picasso triggerfish... some sites say 70 gallon aquarium and one or two say 60... can I make this work? If not recommend me some other ideas....really wish I got the 75 gallon tank

I would not put a trigger in a tank less than 100 gallons, they become super aggressive in the smaller tanks and stressed out.

I would check out the reef octopus skimmers, but be sure to get one for rated about twice your actual tank size. I would also ditch the filter, they are more trouble than they are worth IMO.

But check out wrasses, clowns, gobies, and blennies. They make great additions to tank. If you dont want to do a reef, then you could look into the puffers, lions, angels and butterflies. But be sure you research every purchase (thank you for already doing that!) and make sure your tank is truly large enough and everyone is compatible. Like butterflies and puffers dont do well together for example.
A great place to check out fish, and they have accurate tank size needs is:
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

First off welcome and congrats on your tank...If you did just set it up,your a long ways from stocking....,but its OK to think about it:wink:

ANY trigger is out,sorry,but they need a 125 or more IMO...those minimum tank sizes are useless too, if you ask me...
A flame hawk or blood red would be cool,maybe a dwarf angel ....maybe a valentini puffer,and a wrasse of some kind.....

Little -fish i understand HOB's are not popular but take the time to clean and maintain them and they are great...i used them without a skimmer for almost 5 years

Trust me, triggers need a lot of swimming room. I've seen many while snorkeling and it is dang impossible to try and follow them. It really puts things into perspective when thinking of tank stock. Same deal with tangs.

I'd look into wrasses. They are pretty awesome fish.

Back